Skip to main content

RIP Brian

A dear old friend of mine, Brian Grgurich, sadly passed away recently. He would have turned 42 next month. I decided to write a tribute for him, and wanted to share it with everyone. Here it is:

I’ve known Brian for about a quarter of a century. If someone were to ask me, “What are the first two words you think of when the name ‘Brian Grgurich’ comes to mind?,” I’d state unequivocally, “love” and “acceptance.” Having said that, I’m now going to read a few Bible verses which remind me of him, and I’ll then add my own thoughts after reading them.

 

John 15:12

“This is my commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.”

 

Romans 15:7

“Therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted us to the glory of God.”

 

1 Corinthians 13:4-5

“Love is patient, love is kind, it isn’t jealous, it doesn’t brag, it isn’t arrogant, it isn’t rude, it doesn’t seek its own advantage, it isn’t irritable, it doesn’t keep a record of complaints.”

 

Romans 12:9

“Love should be shown without pretending. Hate evil, and hold on to what is good.”

 

Ephesians 4:32

“Be kind, compassionate, and forgiving to each other, in the same way God forgave you in Christ.”

 

Ephesians 4:2-3

“Conduct yourselves with all humility, gentleness, and patience. Accept each other with love, and make an effort to preserve the unity of the Spirit with the peace that ties you together.”

 

Leviticus 19:18

“You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the Lord.”

 

1 Corinthians 15:10

“But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me.”

 

1 Timothy 5:8

“But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.”

 

1 John 3:18

“Little children, let’s not love with words or speech but with love and truth.”

 

I’m now going to add my own thoughts, and there will be times I speak of Brian in the present tense, for I believe his spirit is still present in this world, and will forever be carried on through each and every one of us, our children, their children, and so on.

 

Brian is truly a kind and genuine soul. The guy was never afraid to express his opinion, and when he did, the odds of him being vague were worse than winning a lottery jackpot off a ticket that Elvis dropped in the parking lot of a 7-11. That’s just who Brian was, and I loved him for it. If you ever needed some advice or to just vent off some steam, Brian was always there to listen. That’s one thing which made Brian so special: The guy actually cared. He didn’t just provide empty rhetoric, and say, “Call me if you ever need anything,” but not actually mean it. No, he meant it. Now, again, if you went to Brian for advice and expected nothing but a “yes man” in return, chances are you’d be sorely mistaken, but that’s what made Brian, Brian, and I loved him for it.

 

Brian is a generous soul. Outside of perhaps a drive around Elkhorn listening to awful ‘80s music you know all the words to and can’t help singing along with, he didn’t ask for much. He was always a giver-first at heart. The guy continually strived to make the world a better, more loving, more accepting place. From nursing homes to social work, Brian always sought to help others. He even helped me a time or two, as he got me to open up about some secrets from my distant past - typically with the assistance of Grape Welch’s. In all seriousness, though, the guy was just easy to talk to, and I loved him for it.

 

Brian is a pleasant soul. Next to the term “personable” in the dictionary, there should be a picture of Brian. All the memories I have of us together, the guy was wearing a giant smile on his face; laughing; and lighting up the room. Seriously, I don’t know what his trick was, but whenever Brian entered a room, the surroundings just seemed to brighten. The guy could have entered a cave nicknamed “Black Hole” and it’d immediately start glowing. That’s just who Brian was, and I loved him for it.

 

Brian is a special soul. He was always honest; gave first; willingly listened to others; and lit up his surroundings, but sadly the world around him never seemed to want to fully reciprocate, and Brian suffered a great deal of pain and heartache for the majority of his life as a result. The guy never asked for much, just love and acceptance. I may not be able to see nor talk to Brian at the moment, but I can still feel his presence, and I hope that, wherever he may be, he’s no longer enduring pain and heartache, and is once again smiling; laughing; and lighting up his surroundings. Brian was a true friend, a true brother, and I’ll always love and accept him for it. I miss you. Rest in peace, brother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"