Skip to main content

"The Art of Survival" Apparently Includes Bush Going Metal

Not too terribly long ago I was approached by a friend about a new Bush album, which was released LAST year. This was news to me, as I hadn't heard anything about it, and being a long-time fan of the band, I've almost always been incredibly up-to-date on any new releases by Gavin Rossdale and the boys. So, while I trusted the aforementioned friend I've known since grade-school, there was admittedly a sliver in my noggin which told me, "Seriously?!? This can't be true!" Well, it was, and boy, was it ever something I wasn't expecting.

The band's 9th studio album is called The Art of Survival, and for the fans of Rossdale's solo record or Bush 2.0's first three releases: The Sea of Memories, Man On the Run, and Black and White Rainbows, upon first listen to this latest effort, it may leave you more shocked than getting struck by lightning while stationed in an electric chair.

Bush's first four albums were, to put it simply, grunge - with a tinge of electronica mixed in on The Science of Things. They went into a more pop-rock direction on The Sea of Memories, before mixing grunge and pop-rock on their next two albums. It wasn't until their 8th release - The Kingdom - when we saw the band return to their early form of pure grunge. So, it came as quite the surprise when I first started listening to their latest album, The Art of Survival, and much of it turned out to be...wait for it... METAL! Yes, the band which provided us: "Glycerine," "Swallowed," "Letting the Cables Sleep," "The Chemicals Between Us," and "Baby Come Home" have gone metal, and the final results are, pardon the pun, banging!

Here's a track-by-track breakdown, with my grades in parentheses:

1. "Heavy Is the Ocean" (5.25/10): Here it is - my least favorite song off the album. It's not bad by any means, but kind of underwhelming - especially to start the album. It combines an early Bush 2.0 sound in the verses, with an almost Soundgarden/Badmotorfinger-esque metal vibe in the chorus. It's a strangely relaxing song, I find, yet is rather repetitive, and not especially catchy nor head-bang worthy. Okay song, but one which I won't be returning to for additional helpings.

2. "Slow Me" (9.25/10): I was feeling a little disappointed after the opening track, but this song quickly changed things on that front. It starts with an eerie riff, almost painting a picture of pending doom, before quickly kicking things up a notch (not quite to 11...yet). This song has a much better flow to it than "Heavy Is the Ocean," without sounding so monotonous, and managing to be catchy at the same time. Great tune!

3. "More Than Machines" (8.75/10): Well, this song certainly won't be played at any Republican rallies, as it centers around the notion that the government shouldn't impede on women's reproductive rights. Oh, and here's where Bush starts going full metal - in the introductory and chorus-to-verse segues. After listening to this song, I now know I'm more than a machine, because I can feel my neck in need of a massage, due to the head-banging. You'll get the reference after you hear the song. If you don't, read the lyrics. If you still don't, I honestly don't know what to tell you.

4. "May Your Love Be Pure" (9.5/10): If you're one of the six people who ever thought to yourself after hearing "Mouth," "You know what? Bush should really think about doing industrial metal," then this song is for you! All kidding aside, this song kinda rocks. Who knew I secretly wanted Gavin Rossdale to go "Pretty Hate Machine"?

5. "Shark Bite" (7.25/10): This song is aptly named, for the verses paint a picture of taking a boat into the ocean on a beautiful summer day; the bridge provides the feel of growing uncertainty, as you something potentially moving in your direction; and the chorus is where the sharks swarm and attack. Yes, the chorus is THAT dark and heavy. The song may not be as catchy as "May Your Love Be Pure," nor as progressive as "Slow Me," but it's still a solid number.

6. "Human Sand" (8.5/10): What a sonically-interesting song. It's antithetical to the album's opening track, as "Human Sand" is anything but repetitive. It combines elements of modern-metal, electronica, industrial, and other genres, yielding mostly positive results. Like "Shark Bite," the chorus is dark and heavy, yet catchier. Good song, which I may respect even more than I like it - as it isn't afraid to take risks. Fortunately, those risks pay off more times than not.

7. "Kiss Me I'm Dead" (10/10): I'm just going to say it: "Kiss Me I'm Dead" is one of the best Bush songs ever released. Not only is it a rocking number, it's emotional, and Rossdale has rarely sounded better. Rarely do I truly experience goosebumps when I listen to music, but do every time I hear this song. Genuinely haunting, yet beautiful.

8. "Identity" (6.75/10): Metalheads unite! This is probably the most thoroughly metal track on the album. I'm head-banging now just thinking about the song. The only reason I don't grade it higher is the chorus. It's not awful, but doesn't fit very well with the rest of the song, in my opinion. Regardless, it rocks. Whenever you see Beavis and Butthead banging their heads from this point forward, they're probably listening to "Identity."

9. "Creatures of the Fire" (7.5/10): Well, it had to happen at some point, right? After eight hard-hitting songs to open the album, Gavin and company slow things down a bit with "Creatures of the Fire." Thankfully it's a good track, so it doesn't downgrade the quality of the album any. As for a description of the song, I picture Gavin playing an acoustic guitar, as a summer camp counselor, singing this as a lullaby to kids. Yes, it's better than that sounds.

10. "Judas Is a Riot" (5.75/10): The slow-down didn't last long, as this is a banger as well. Sadly, while I like the verses and love the bridge, I'm not crazy about the chorus. It feels forced and doesn't transition well from the aforementioned bridge. Not a bad song, but it could have been so much better. Also, "Do the Kool-Aid, twist and shout" just doesn't do it for me. Unless it's Tropical Punch Kool-Aid. In that case, the odds are high I would literally twist and shout.

11. "Gunfight" (7.75/10): Here's another metal intro. Honestly, the song is kinda all over the place. If it weren't for the extended chorus, I'd probably grade it only slightly higher than "Judas Is a Riot" (likely a 6/10), but the extended chorus ("See, I'm in the sun, can you see/feel me now?") saves it. The song reminds me of that strange college professor you had, who seemed to go on a long-winded tangent, before completely shifting course and going on another tangent, with the cycle continually repeating itself. During said tangents, while you were taking copious notes, you were thinking, "Where in the hell is he/she going with this?" Then, at the end of the class, the professor somehow finds a way to tie everything together. That's this song, only much more pleasing on the ears (unless your professor was James Earl Jones).

12. "1000 Years" (10/10): If it weren't for "Kiss Me I'm Dead," this would be my favorite track off The Art of Survival, and in my opinion it's one of the ten, if not five best songs in the entire Bush catalog. It's one of only two slow songs off the album (along with "Creatures of the Fire"), and at least from my vantage point, is the best such song the band has ever released. Bush tried recreating the magic of "Glycerine" off their debut album, Sixteen Stone, on their sophomore effort, Razorblade Suitcase, with "Bonedriven," and if I'm being completely honest, the results were mixed. While "Bonedriven" is anything but a bad track, THIS is the song they wanted to create 27 years ago, with the release of their second album. As a matter of fact, if I may be so bold, this song not only recreates the magic of "Glycerine," it exceeds it.

Overall (96.25/120): 4.5/5 stars

Along with Sixteen Stone, Golden State, and The Kingdom, The Art of Survival is one of Bush's four best albums. Unlike with the three other grunge-heavy albums, though, The Art of Survival explores a more metal side to the band, and with mostly very positive results. In fact, one of the album's strengths is its consistency. While there may be a mediocre effort or two, there isn't a truly bad song on it. From track one through track twelve, there are a host of rocking riffs, catchy bridges and choruses, and smooth, effective changes in sound. After mixed results with the band's first three albums post-regrouping, Bush has found themselves on a roll with The Kingdom and now The Art of Survival. Whatever you guys are doing, keep it up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"