Skip to main content

I cannot stand the "real" vs. "unreal" American labels

As could probably be predicted, there were a number of political debates roaming about the Facebook newsfeed today, with regard to the Supreme Court's healthcare ruling. I got involved in one such feed, because the initial status ticked me off a bit. Alright, so the guy thought the individual mandate was wrong. That's fine. He has a right to his own opinion. However, he then went into the "real"/"unreal" American bit, saying only "real" Americans rejected the mandate. I didn't even go after him on the mandate. I asked him to define "real" and "unreal" Americans and if, since I support the healthcare law, I'm not a "real" American and should be forced to leave the country or something. I then asked who ultimately decided what a "real" and "unreal" American is and if there's a handout which deciphers the two. He said there was - The Constitution, Declaration of Independence, etc. and kept going on and on about "real" Americans.

I then went philosophical and asked if he had met any of the Founding Fathers, if he had co-authored the Constitution, if he had a way to look inside the minds of Madison, Jefferson, Franklin and company while they were alive and writing/implementing such documentation, because how can one be 100% positive of an author's actual message and intent if we're not him/her? Honestly? I then said that every person is different and due to all our different experiences, we likely see the world differently and with that, have different ideas of an ideal America. Who am I to lay claim that one version of this ideal America is correct and all others are false? He then said, "It's not 'ideal' America. It's 'real' America." I almost laughed at that. Okay, that's what I meant... Ideal? Real? Give me a break...

I found it really humorous when he said that he didn't stoop to the levels of left vs. right politics and I chimed in by saying, "Yeah, you talk about 'real' vs. 'unreal' Americans, which is even worse, in my opinion." Yes, I think partisan politics are annoying, but most times, they're only claiming, "You're not one of us," meaning you're not a member of the Republican/Democratic Party. When a person goes the "real" vs. "unreal" American route, he/she is laying claim that a certain number of individuals in this country don't really belong here.

It all makes me laugh, because he and people who think similarly label themselves as Libertarian, meaning it's all about freedom - no regulations, no taxes, etc. Gay marriage rights? Sure, why not. Marijuana legalization? Sounds good to me. Yet, for people who may disagree with them with regard to taxes and regulations? Well, they're not real members of this society. Yeah, it certainly sounds like a "real" American to tell a group of people they're not "real" Americans because they hold different opinions than them, all the while claiming that the government should never impose upon our freedom. I'm not sure how that philosophy works exactly, but I'll think it over and try to make sense of it. Perhaps alcohol will aid me there or ganja or...okay, I don't even think that will work...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"