Skip to main content

Becoming extremely defensive is a sign of...

So, I got into an interesting conversation last night. As usual with this person, I took on the role as the shrink and her as my patient. This individual has even joked before about paying me for providing this very service. When we got to talking about her potential male dating prospects, she became more defensive than I've ever seen a person (well, it's close with one another - but I think even she pulls slightly ahead of him).

Earning three degrees in psychology, this conversation both fascinated and frustrated me. While she was pointing out what she determined to be flaws of these two men and reasons why she was hesitant on pursuing anything with either of them, I reiterated her statements and build upon them to make an even stronger case that she should be careful with both, if not just totally dismiss them and look elsewhere. After these statements, she became Ms. Defensive and I found it intriguing at first, but later found it to be rather frustrating and annoying.

Here she was telling me that one guy was coming on too strong (they've known each other for just a week) and that he was too young (and too nice) and has told me the other guy is too perverted and seems to only want her for the physical/sexual and she claims to want much more than that, also noting that she felt he was being disrespectful toward her.

So, I fed off that and noted the first guy's age probably wasn't of great importance if he at least acted maturely and his words/actions to this point have indicated that not only does he seem to act his age (very young), he may be acting even younger than that. She flipped out at this, claiming that I'm always negative, trying to turn the tables on me and my relationship woes and defending the guy as being mature. I simply stated that since she told me he was only 22 and had never met anyone online before, he was acting in a manner which showed that he's quite youthful, inexperienced, in essence - immature - and again, she got mighty defensive.

With regard to the second guy, I reiterated what she told me a couple weeks prior, which was that he was being disrespectful toward her, seemed only interested in sex and that while she has an attraction toward jerks (like him), she knows that's not right and wants to change that. I just replayed her very words right back to her and she again fipped out, telling me she never asked for my opinion, that I'm always negative and yada yada yada.

Like I said, I found this all to be interesting for a while, but as it felt like we were talking in circles, got rather old rather quickly. Upon completing the conversation, though, I was intrigued by her uber-defensiveness.

As I think this individual sums up such behavior quite accurately, I'll quote it below:

"The dictionary defines defensive as "a state or posture of defense".  It is a reaction to someone else that comes from anxiety, fear, guilt or insecurity.  Defensiveness is an emotional response rather than a logical one.  Someone has hit a nerve.  Someone has pushed a button.  And off you go.  You are reacting rather than acting.  Look at the last time you snapped at someone, withdrew into a deadly silence, or played the blame game.  You were probably being defensive.  Defensiveness is an overreaction to the actions of another.  It's taking things personally which are not. "

Her being so defensive led me to believe that she knew I was right. She may not have wanted to admit it, but deep down, something was gnawing away at her and she acting irrationally out of emotion as opposed to actual thought. She even apologized at one point for being so defensive, but then made an excuse, once again casting the blame on me and my opinions/negativity. As an outsider to her situation, I find her actions and reactions intriguing, yet perplexing. She painted these men in a negative light, with minimal positive words surrounding them. YET when I responded with words regarding these men in that same tone, suddenly I was inaccurate in my assessment, being too pessimistic and she felt the need to refute the claims I made which she made initially. Yes, I know - wild stuff!

Unfortunately, I think she's just suffering from loneliness, insecurity, anxiety and possibly depression. While she doesn't seem to like these men very much and isn't afraid to state that, she also wants some semblance of a social life and some hope of romance and for the time being, these two guys are all she has. If she lets them go, then what? Unfortunately, it seems as if she's leading them both on and especially in that first guy's case, he's likely to get his feelings hurt. I don't think the second's feelings will/would be phased quite as much since he appears to only be looking for something physical/sexual, but in any case, she's still leading him on as well.

http://www.kellevision.com/kellevision/2010/02/on-being-defensive.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"