Skip to main content

Being a person's "Ted"

I just saw the new film "Ted" last Sunday and while I found the movie to be utterly hilarious and wouldn't mind seeing it again sometime, I found it to be interesting on a personal level, for as I soon came to discover, I am like someone's "Ted".

She and I have been friends for 10 or so years now and while we've gone through some rocky times and have had some rather large gaps between communications, we've found a way to pick up right where we left off whenever we do communicate and maintain a decent friendship.

The problem for us has always been that she's always wanted something more than the friendship and it's never happened. Either I was involved in a relationship at the outset (with my girlfriend of 2 years) or she was married (for a few years) or engaged (for a year or two) or I moved a ways away, which would complicate matters quite a bit, especially with her having a kid. So things just have never developed into anything greater than a friendship.

Like I said earlier, we've gone quite a long time without communicating in any manner, yet it seems that when we do, we pick up right where we left off. The problem often times in this scenario is that when this happens, she claims to get feelings for me again and then wants to evolve things a bit further. When I decline, the balance of the relationships gets all out of whack and can be difficult to stabilize again for a little while.

I think I've figured out what the true matter at hand is. I notice that most times when this happens, it directly follows a bad break-up or being single for a while. I'm beginning to think that I'm like her "Ted". I'm that guy who has always been a good friend to her, been there to listen, been comfortable and familiar and someone she finds attractive. I'm like that teddy bear to her and whenever things don't go her way, I have been able to find a way to make her laugh and smile. So when a relationship of her's ends badly, she reaches back for that comfort that's always been there - me. When she feels all alone and bummed, she looks back toward the guy who's made her feel good about herself - me. She claims to have always loved/been in love with me, but I'm not thinking this is the case. I think she loves me, but has never really been in love with me. I just think I may very well be her security blanket, her stuffed animal, her "Ted".

Regardless if she truly sees me that way or not, I really hope this cycle comes to a halt. Unfortunately, I'm thinking the only way that could happen is if A) I did indeed give things a chance with her or B) She found someone else who truly made her happy. I'm really hoping that B) happens and sooner rather than later, because I honestly don't know how much longer I'll be able to handle being a person's "Ted".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"