Skip to main content

My interpretation of Muse's new single, "You Make Me Feel Like It's Halloween"

I've been reading comments on Discord and Twitter which contend the new song "You Make Me Feel Like It's Halloween" is about domestic violence during the pandemic. There are even some on the latter site which have reportedly "dropped Muse" due to the upbeat nature of the song coinciding with said alleged theme of it. However, the only comment I can find potentially confirming that the song's inspiration was in fact domestic violence during the pandemic was courtesy of Mark Beaumont in an NME article he wrote about the band/album. Did any of the band members confirm this as well?

Reading over the lyrics, while I can see why Mr. Beaumont interpreted them to be about domestic violence, I'm getting the feeling it's not as clear cut as that. To me it almost comes across like a satire about COVID-conspiracists, spoken/sung from the vantage point of one such individual. He or she is paranoid, not so much about the pandemic, but about governmental control during it, and no matter what their problems were pre-COVID, all their problems before and after the virus's inception they now claim to be the fault of the government.

"You cut me off from my friends

You cut me off from my family

I'm in misery (I'm your number one fan)

Each day I fall to my knees

I see the writing on the wall

Now I'm in withdrawal"

They don't trust the government; they don't trust the CDC; they don't trust Dr. Fauci; and even though vaccinations for the virus started under the candidate they voted for - Donald Trump, they tend to not trust vaccines either. As new information comes to light regarding the virus, and narratives inevitably shift as a result; their suspicions grow; and they take to conspiracy-theorists on social-media for answers - their paranoia exacerbating in the process.

"You got me checking my mirror

You make me feel like I'm on the run

Where'd you hide the gun?

The kitchen knife in your hand

Are you the poison, are you the cure?

I'm not so sure"

They've been told we're now residing in a dictatorship, where freedom is a thing of the past, all the while many around them are somehow enjoying life and freedom - especially if precautionary measures were taken to help slow the spread of the virus.

"I'm shackled, there is no way out

I can't escape

When you turn out the lights

You make me feel like it's Halloween, it's Halloween

When you skulk 'round the house

You make me feel like it's Halloween, it's Halloween"

They see what's not there; are spooked by the thought of it; and believe they won't truly be alive and free again until they're overtaken by fear and paranoia over the illusory.

"I see your eye in the keyhole

I feel like it's Halloween

It's Halloween

Won't reset until I'm possessed

You make me feel like it's Halloween, it's Halloween"

The song ends ironically with the spoken words, "But you are the caretaker" - as it's noted that the entity about which the central character feels such intense fear and paranoia is essentially their doctor/nurse/mother/father, trying to protect them.

Like with the title track to the album, I think the central reason for the song's upbeat, and in this case spooky-fun, tone is because it's mocking right-wing conspiracy theorists, who are set on destroying that which they claim to love and be building (making great again); for buying into the nonsense that doctors and scientists have been brainwashing the masses, all the while they themselves get brainwashed on medical matters by some guy named TrustMeImNotADocter on YouTube.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"