Skip to main content

In the face of danger and even death, some continue to cling onto the hope of love

I can't say I understand love, relationships, marriage, etc. I've never been in love. I've been single for a very long time. I've never been married. So, whatever one wants to do with their lives in the world of "love," so be it. Whatever makes them happy, as the saying goes.

However, as I haven't a firm grasp on the concept of love, neither do I understand some people's decisions when they claim to be in love. Over the past 6-12 months, I've heard of three such stories which have perplexed me to no end:

1) A woman who was beaten by her boyfriend (multiple times) kept running back to him before she finally realized it was best for she and her daughter (yes, a child was involved) to go elsewhere.

2) A woman whom was raped by her husband (they have two children) kept pondering on if she should go back to him or not. She went back and forth on it for a while, until she decided to leave him.

3) A woman (with two kids) was witness to her boyfriend, drunk, with a gun pointed toward his head and a shotgun nearby, only to save his life and take him to the hospital. As of this moment, they're still together.

In all three of these cases, kids were involved. In all three of these situations, I'd leave the guy without hesitation, because not only would he be endangering my life, but he'd be endangering my kids' lives. A man beating a woman? Who's to say he won't lose it and if the girlfriend isn't there, take it out on the child? Who knows what is possible with a man whom rapes a woman. Finally, with an alcoholic, whom has suicidal thoughts, and possession of guns, who's to say he couldn't get drunk one night, accidentally pull the trigger and take one of the kid's lives?

I don't understand. I think loyalty is a great thing. I've been cheated on before, so I, like other similar-experienced individuals, truly appreciate and long for loyalty. However, there is a line to be drawn between loyalty and (fill-in-the-blank). I'm not a parent, but I can tell you right now if someone I was with endangered my child in any manner, I would be out the door faster than a politician lies.

Like I said, I don't understand love anymore. I know several single, good guys (myself included), whom seem to have difficulty in attracting someone of our liking as more than a friend. However, I then hear about guys who beat, rape and almost kill women and... I just can't even think about it anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"