Skip to main content

TGI Fridays + mistletoe drones + a kiss cam = TGIF 'n' A (Thank God It's Friday 'n' Awkward)

According to recent reports, it appears as if TGI Friday's will be experimenting with the concept of mistletoe drones and a kiss cam this holiday season. Yes, in the UK and in parts of the US, some couples will be greeted by a mistletoe drone, and if they kiss, they'll be rewarded with a Friday's gift card. There will even be a kiss cam to showcase some of these very moments. No, I can't see anything going wrong here. The first word I thought of when hearing about this idea was "awkward." I have to imagine at least one of the following scenarios will take place at least once, at least in my mind:

Scenario #1: Two friends, one of whom has a crush on the other

Donna Naivete: "Hey, I'm hungry. Wanna go somewhere and grab a bite to eat?"

Russell Gotchanow: "Yeah, that sounds great! I'm getting hungry too." :: mumbles :: "...for love..."

Donna: "What was that?"

Russell: "Oh, nothing"

Donna: "Have any ideas on where we should go?"

Russell: "I haven't been to Friday's in a while. How about there?"

Donna: "Okay, that sounds good. I'll meet you there in a half-hour. Sound good?"

Russell: "Sounds lovely" :: chuckles ::

Donna: "What's so funny?"

Russell: "Oh, nothing. I'll see you there in a half-hour."

:: they arrive at the restaurant and sit down ::

Donna: "What are those things flying around?"

Russell: "I'm not sure." :: motions to the person in control of the drone to head over to them ::

Donna: "Whoa. That thing is getting closer."

Russell: "I know..."

:: the drone stops ahead of them ::

Donna: "Is that a mistletoe?"

Russell: :: smiles :: "I think so. Shall we?" :: leans in for a kiss ::

Donna: :: backs away :: "I don't think so."

Russell: "But, but, we'll get a free gift card if we kiss and we're on that kiss cam over there."

Donna: "You mean, you knew about this? You were just trying to get me to kiss you, even though I'm engaged, to your brother?"

Russell: "Donna, I can explain... I..."

Donna: :: storms out ::

Russell: "That went well. Anyone else want to get a free gift card? How about you over there? No? Okay then... Waiter? Can I get a shot of Everclear please? Thanks."


Scenario #2: A first date

Johnny Erectus: "I was thinking about going to dinner tonight for our first date. How does that sound?"

Jessica Prudish: "That sounds good. Where at?"

Johnny: "Hmm... You did say you don't kiss on first dates, right?"

Jessica: "That's right. Why?"

Johnny: "Oh, no reason. How about Friday's then?"

Jessica: "Okay, that sounds good. But why there exactly and why did you ask if I kissed on first dates?"

Johnny: "Oh, nothing. How about I pick you up at 7?"

Jessica: "Sounds good. I better go and get ready."

:: they arrive at the restaurant and he sits next to her ::

Jessica: "Why don't you sit across from me so we don't have to turn our heads to look at each other and make eye contact?"

Johnny: "Oh, just this..." :: motions for the person in charge of the drone to move it toward them ::

Jessica: "What the...? Is that a...?"

Johnny: :: pulls her head towards his and kisses her ::

Jessica :: pushes him off her :: "What is wrong with you? I told you I didn't kiss on first dates!"

Johnny: "That's what you thought before Johnny Erectus put his moves on Jessica Prudish."

Jessica: "Gross! That's it! I'm leaving!"

Johnny: "But I drove"

Jessica: "I'll get a cab."

Johnny: "Come on... A kiss at Fridays on a Friday. How about staying over and giving ol' Johnny Erectus more than that on Saturday?"

Jessica: "You wish! By the way, do you always talk in the third-person like that? It's annoying."

Johnny: "Johnny Erectus never talks in the third-person and is never annoying. What Johnny Erectus is, is..."

Jessica: "Oh, shut it! On that note, Jessica Prudish is leaving!"


Scenario #3: A brother and sister that haven't seen each other in a while

Jacque Distant: :: picks his sister up at the airport ::

Jacqueline Distant: :: while in the car :: "I'm getting so hungry. Have you eaten dinner yet?"

Jacque: "No, actually, so yeah, I'm getting hungry too."

Jacqueline: "How about that Fridays over there? The parking lot doesn't look too full."

Jacque: "Yeah, that sounds good."

:: the two enter the restaurant, sit down, and order a meal ::

Jacqueline: "So, how have you been? I haven't seen you in so long. You're looking great. Have you been working out?"

Jacque: "It has been a while, hasn't it? At least a year"

Jacqueline: "Might be closer to two"

Jacque: "But, yeah, so I have been doing this new workout. It's a French karate workout, which kind of pokes fun at Mr. Miyagi from The Karate Kid. It's called 'Jacque On, Jacque Off.'"

Jacqueline: "That's funny... Uh, what's that above our heads?"

Jacque: "It looks like a mistletoe. Let's just do the polite friend-family-kiss-on-the-cheek and hopefully it'll leave us alone."

:: kiss on the cheek ::

Stranger: :: yells :: "Come on! You can do better than that!"

Jacque and Jacqueline: :: faces turn bright red ::

Other customers: "Boo!"

Jacque: "Do they realize we're brother and sister?"

Jacqueline: "Apparently not. Where do they think this is, Kentucky?"

Jacque: "Yeah, apparently so. Excuse me, waiter, can we get our meals to go please? Thanks."


Other potential awkward occurrences: 

- Exes

- In-laws

- Two blind people

- Germophobes

- A teacher and student

- A boss and employee

- A gay couple that doesn't get recognized

- The drone bumping into somebody's head

- The drone going dead in someone's meal

- Drunk people destroying the drone


Perhaps Friday's should divide the restaurant into a drone and non-drone section, so they can avoid some of these before-mentioned scenarios. Otherwise, the restaurant may want to change its name to TGIF 'n' A, or Thank God It's Friday 'n' Awkward.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tgi-fridays-mistletoe-drones-2014-11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"