Skip to main content

Democratic Debate Review (Debate 3)

Here's how I rank the Democratic candidates' debate performances from debate 3:

10) Andrew Yang: After hearing Yang in interviews, I had high hopes he'd perform well on the debate stage. He's bright, witty, and has a great story. I mean, the guy's proposing to give each person $1,000 per month. What's not to like? Well, after his third debate, I think it's safe to say his performances on the debate stage. The guy hardly talks; seems to go with bad rehearsed jokes over his natural wit; and he comes across as gimmicky. I like him, but unless he ups his game on the debate stage, I can't see him challenging for the party's nomination.

9) Julian Castro: After two very strong debate performances, the former HUD secretary rubbed people the wrong way in the third debate, going after Vice President Biden's age. While I think many were too hard on Castro, I think he all but disqualified himself from contention for the party's nomination. I still think he's a solid choice for running mate. Wouldn't it be funny if Biden became the nominee and chose Castro to be his running mate? No, I don't see it happening, but it is a funny thought.

8) Joe Biden: The former Vice President was more fiery this time around, didn't back down following criticisms, and even though he still wasn't great, I think this was probably his strongest debate showing yet. It'll be interesting to see if he can continue this trend.

7) Bernie Sanders: To put it simply, Bernie was Bernie, only with a hoarse voice. Yup, that's all I'm going to write. Give the man a cough drop!

6) Elizabeth Warren: Warren hasn't had any standout debate performances, in my opinion, but she's been solid in every one. She appears to come in to every debate with a particular plan, sticks to that plan, and comes out winning more people over than she lost. Hey, when a candidate is garnering as much momentum as she has been, why break a cycle that's working?

5) Amy Klobuchar: I think the Minnesota Senator put on her best debate performance yet. Unfortunately for her, like Yang, she hasn't had much chance to talk during these debates, and again, like Yang, hasn't tended to speak out if she wasn't called upon. A good showing by her, but I have a hard time seeing her competing for the party's nomination.

4) Kamala Harris: While not as effective as she was in the opening debate, Senator Harris was still solid in my opinion, and improved from her second debate performance. Instead of going after Biden, she went after Donald Trump. Since it appears she's losing steam in the polls, it'll be interesting to see if her strategy shifts at all from this point forward.

3) Beto O'Rourke: He finally showed up! Through two debates, I was incredibly disappointed by Beto's performances. He came across as nervous, ill-prepared, and wishy-washy. Not so in this third debate, where he provided arguably the most impassioned moment in it. I still don't think he's got a chance for the nomination, but he's certainly a guy to keep your eyes on in the future.

2) Pete Buttigieg: Kind of like Elizabeth Warren, Mayor Pete appears to go in with a plan in each debate, stick to it, and comes out ahead. Like I mentioned with Beto, he is a politician to keep your eyes on in the future. I also wouldn't be surprised if he was on the eventual nominee's radar for running mate.

1) Cory Booker: While polls are not showing a big bounce for the New Jersey Senator, he was on his game this night. Strong performance all the way through.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"