Skip to main content

CatholicVote.org is alone in thinking their "Not Alone" video is clever...

Not long after the Supreme Court ruled in favor of marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples nationwide, the nonprofit group CatholicVote.org decided to release a video with their reaction to the landmark ruling.

The video is entitled, "Not Alone," is black-and-white, features music that comes across like a Sarah McLachlan song from a starving-children's or abused-dogs' commercial, and presents each of six young adults individually, as they sit down in a chair and look like they're about to say something of great importance. Here's what they all had to say:

"I am a little bit nervous about people, um, kind of hearing that I'm this way and thinking, well, um, she's, she's not welcome here."

"I would say I am different. We're all different."

"Most people probably think I'm already weird anyway, so, I mean, I don't think society's impression of me is going to change drastically based on one or two discoveries that come to light after this video."

"It's pretty scary, you know. You wonder how many people can I be truly honestly be open with."

"I've tried to change this before, but it's too important to me."

"I actually think marriage is between a man and a woman."

"I believe marriage is between a man and a woman."

"I already have an idea of what marriage should be; that will never change."

"At the end of the day, I don't think we really need to feel ashamed of how we feel about things, so be you."

"No one should be looked down upon. No one should be suppressed. No one's views should be suppressed."

"I know a lot of people who are gay. I have friends who are gay. I don't fear them, you know? They're wonderful people. I love them. What I do feel insecure about is speaking from the heart and being really open and honest about what I believe."

"I mean, I love my friends. Several of them happen to be gay. How would it be the case that the ever-loving creator, who gave us everything we have, doesn't love us?"

"Where's that balance, you know? Where you can say, 'No, I'm not going to be a part of this, yet still respect someone?'"

"Bigoted is a huge word that gets thrown around. It's just not true."

"You cannot have a society of hatred or a society of bigotry."

"I happen to know what marriage is and I don't see how it could change."

"The best way to kind of break down all these barriers, I'm sorry, is to just get to know people one-on-one."

"You're not alone."

"You're not alone."

"You are not alone."

:: cue the tears ::

Words across the center of the screen appear: "Speak Truth With Love"

Yes, I feel a sarcastic slow-clap coming on too...

Seriously? Is this some kind of a joke? The Onion, is that you? This has to be one of the most ridiculous, embarrassing, shameful videos I've seen with regard to marriage equality, if not the most. The creators of this video actually think they're being clever by comparing how difficult it is for these people to come out about being against gay marriage rights to actual gay people coming out of the closet. The speakers in this film insinuate that they, as Christians, are being suppressed due to them not believing in marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples. Guess what? While approximately 60% of this country now approves of same-sex marriage and that number is trending positively, people are still free to believe as they so choose. Christians can believe gay marriage is immoral, that engaging in sexual acts with someone of the same gender is sinful, or even that George Michael and Elton John spawned the Antichrist. While gay-marriage rights' opponents are now in the minority and things are trending against them, that doesn't detract from the fact they still have a right to believe as they wish. So, stop it with playing the victim-card, saying, "Our rights as Christians are being suppressed." No they're not. Other groups of people are garnering equal rights as yourselves, some groups you may not agree with morally, so they spin this as if they're actually losing rights. I'm sorry, but things don't work that way. When women were allowed to vote like men, this didn't strip men of their voting rights; it simply provided women with equal voting rights.

Let's cut it out with the comparisons. Christians coming out against gay marriage rights and coming out as gay isn't even an apples-and-oranges comparison. No, it's more like apples and Kentucky Fried Chicken. When has one of these Christians come out to their parents about being Christian and gotten thrown out of the house or disowned altogether? When has one of these Christians gotten fired from a job after word got around that they were Christian? When has one of these Christians been forced to go to conversion therapy due to their religion? When has one of these Christians been called a "fag" while they were getting beaten while walking home one day? When has one of these Christians ever had to fight for attaining equal rights in this country? The creators of and speakers on this video may have truly believed in what they were making and thought they were being clever in doing so, but the video only showcased how ignorant they are on the subject.

We can state all we want that we have "a couple of black friends" or "a few gay friends," but such declarations are only an attempt to mask us of our prejudices if we don't believe these "friends" of ours are deserving of equal rights under the law due to an innate characteristic. A few decades ago, a similar such video would be decrying interracial marriage, with people saying, "I have some black friends, but I think marriage should be between one man and one woman of the same race. I'm not a bigot or anything, but it's just the way I see marriage."

So, the anti-marriage equality individuals in this video can cry me a river. Until they've been fired from their jobs for their religious beliefs, been refused service at a bakery due to being Christian, been beaten due to this, been denied marriage, or been disowned by their families because of what they believe, they need to cut it out with these asinine comparisons.

The end of this video: :: cue the tears :: "You're not alone" (in believing gay and lesbian couples aren't deserving of equal rights under the law).

Homosexuals throughout the years: ::cue the tears :: "You're not alone in believing you shouldn't have to constantly look over your shoulder in fear of getting beaten again; in believing you're a human being and deserve to be treated like one and not 3/5 of one; and in believing you deserve love and acceptance from your friends and family like everyone else.

Yeah, like I said, the comparison is like apples and Kentucky Fried Chicken...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ed-coffin/bigots-tear-up-in-antigay_b_7707708.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/domenick-scudera/bgot-vs-fggot_b_7712846.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6PPk2NOQXs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"