Skip to main content

Contact Ohio Governor John Kasich about the Planned Parenthood-defunding bill!

Apparently Ohio Governor John Kasich (yes, the so-called moderate GOP candidate of the bunch) is set to sign a bill which would strip funds from Planned Parenthood. I've already written the governor about my disappointment with regard to the announcement and why he should veto the bill. To do the same, go to the following link and either write or call the governor:

http://www.governor.ohio.gov/contact/contactthegovernor.aspx

In case you're curious, here's what I wrote Governor Kasich:

"While I don't fully align myself with any party, I am a progressive, so I tend to lean toward the Democratic side on election day. However, in saying that and having paid close attention  this primary season (watching every debate), I do have to say I've been impressed with your campaign, appreciate you having a tendency to rise above the negative talk which commonly floods the airwaves, and have largely appeared to place partisan politics to the side in favor of getting things done. I respect that. It's refreshing to see and hear such a presence on the debate stage among the seemingly constant blather which derives from many of the other candidates' mouths. I'm keeping my fingers crossed (not permanently, of course) that you are the GOP nominee come election day.

Having said all that, however, I was disappointed to read this morning that you are planning on signing a bill which would cut funding to Planned Parenthood. While I'm not a strong proponent either way on the abortion issue, I think it's important to not look at things from an absolutist perspective, to try and compromise, and through that, attempt to decrease the number of abortions, yet not strip women of their reproductive rights. Study after study suggests comprehensive sex education and access to contraception decrease unwanted pregnancies, and with that, they decrease abortions. Planned Parenthood facilities provide education, contraception, and other (sometimes life-saving) health-related services to women. While Planned Parenthood facilities may provide abortions, studies have also suggested up to 97% of their services aren't abortion procedures. A recent Texas study indicated the defunding of these family planning facilities led to more unwanted pregnancies, and with that, more abortions. So while Planned Parenthood may be responsible for abortions, there's a great likelihood more abortions would take place without the presence of these facilities. I realize abortion is a very hot-button issue, but women's health should be as well. A conservative Christian friend of mine recently told me, "I was going to be a single mom, was broke, and I wouldn't have made it without Planned Parenthood." I hear these stories very regularly, so it breaks my heart to hear about politicians trying to defund these family-planning facilities due to edited videos, debunked talking points, and outside pressure. In a perfect world, abortions wouldn't exist, but sadly, we don't live in a perfect world, so why must we pretend to live in a perfect world by slowly stripping away women's reproductive rights, their options, and in essence, their freedom, when we could try to be realistic about this imperfect world, compromise, and attempt to decrease abortions without decreasing women's liberties? As far as I see it, the debate is largely about idealistic principle vs. realistic action. Many self-described "pro-lifers" support abstinence-only education, yet studies showcase such courses increase the likelihood of unwanted pregnancies and abortions. A number of "pro-lifers" don't approve of contraception, or at the very least, they don't approve of making contraception more accessible, yet unsafe sex increases unwanted pregnancies and abortions. Lastly, it seems a majority of self-described "pro-lifers" are ardently opposed to Planned Parenthood, yet once again, studies have shown unwanted pregnancies and abortions to increase without these healthcare facilities being present. So just how "pro-life" is a self-described pro-lifer if he or she is a supporter of measures which increase the likelihood of abortion? If one were to make rational sense, a self-described pro-lifer would support comprehensive sex education, support easier access to contraception, and support Planned Parenthood funding, because they would be saving far more lives than if they supported the alternative route."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"