Skip to main content

Will Cain's Circle Game Obsession

Almost everyone I know has a love-hate relationship with at least one person. When it comes to ESPN talk show host Will Cain, however, my relationship with him doesn't even reach that status. It's more like a tolerate-hate relationship (no, not tolerate hate). This was on full display after Cain made his thoughts on the Chicago-Cubs-ban-a-fan-for-a-white-power-sign known.

As most of the sports world knows by now, the Chicago Cubs decided to ban a fan for life after this individual showcased what was viewed as a white power sign behind MLB analyst and former player Doug Glanville, who happens to be black. After Cubs management allegedly investigated the matter, they decided the gesture was indeed intended to showcase a call to white supremacy, hence the lifetime ban. That didn't stop conservative host Will Cain from speaking contrarian, as he often times does.

Cain contended that the gesture used by the fan was mainly used for four purposes: 1) A symbol for okay; 2) A sign for a 3-point shot in basketball (or just the number 3 in general); 3) The circle game; and 4) A gesture promoting white supremacy. He admitted the first two were out of the question in this particular case, but then went on ad nauseum that the fan in question was playing the circle game and that hardly anyone knew the gesture was now a symbol for white power. He then flipped back and forth between that mentality and just saying, "How can anyone know what his true intention was? Doesn't it seem like a big leap to assume he was trying to make a sign promoting white nationalism?"

Granted, I don't know the numbers on what percentage of the population is cognizant of the hand gesture's racist ties. My guess is it's higher than Cain realizes, but less than 50%. I admit I am not well-versed in racist hand signs, including this one. At the same time, however, I've never known anyone to play "the circle game." Never in all my years growing up, spending time with my younger family members, etc. had I heard of the circle game. After looking it up, I wished I still hadn't heard of it. In any case, if Cain wants to play the percentage card, while it may be somewhat reasonable to contend that it's a leap to assume the fan was making a racist hand signal, it's also quite a leap to assume he was playing the circle game. Doesn't the circle game require two people to participate? Who was this fan playing with? The cameraperson? I don't think so.

Segueing from that, Cain's other argument may hold some water - for how can we know with 100% certainty what the fan's true intentions were? Especially since we still don't know the fan's name or anything about him? If that's the case, though, Cain can't then express certitude the fan was playing the circle game. He can't have it both ways where he says, "Look, nobody can know what this fan was trying to do, but I know for a fact he was playing the circle game." Eh, no...

Like half of Cain's brain, I'm unwilling to fully conclude on the matter until I garner more information about the fan and situation. Until I learn of all the details, I don't think it'd be right nor fair of me to say with any kind of certainty what this fan's intent was. Having said that, though, if the Chicago Cubs did fully investigate the matter, chances are they know more about it than anyone else, including Will Cain and myself. Therefore, until further noted, I see no problem with their harsh punishment. That's subject to change with additional information, but for the time being, I'm on team Cubs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"