Skip to main content

Democratic Debate Review (Debate 7)

Here's how I rank the Democratic candidates' debate performances from debate 7:

7) Joe Biden: I really wish the former Vice President would up his game on the debate stage. He just often comes across as angry, disinterested, and like he missed an afternoon nap at some point during the past month. Instead of telling others to get off his lawn, Biden has actually been shouting that he wants to get off the debate stage!

6) Andrew Yang: A man of few words, with some good ideas, who appears to stiffen up when on the debate stage. I had high hopes for Yang after I heard a couple of interviews with him on cable news channels. He came across as sharp, witty, personable, and due to these attractive traits and others, he was my sleeper to make a splash on the debate stage and in the race. Unfortunately, that didn't happen, as the person I saw in the interviews was not the person I saw on the debate stage. Even though he's since dropped out, psst, if you want to provide me with universal basic income, I won't argue too much.

5) Tom Steyer: I think this was Steyer's best debate to this point, not because he made excellent points all night. No, it was more because he found a way to unYang the moderators and speak up even when he wasn't called upon. He brought up some topics which have been rarely discussed, like reparations for the black community. In the end, I have a feeling that's what this is really all about for him - to generate discussion and attempt to prompt action he feels passionately about, even though he knows he has next to no shot at winning. I respect that. Talking directly to the camera like he's speaking to me, however, I don't respect so much, especially when he goes on one of his random ass tangents.

4) Bernie Sanders: Three words: Bernie was Bernie. Okay, next...

3) Pete Buttigieg: I was slightly disappointed with Mayor Pete in this debate. To this point, he's largely gone unscathed regarding attacks and criticisms from the media and his opposition. In this debate, however, while he did have some good moments, they appeared to be overshadowed by his inability to explain why, when he was mayor in South Bend, blacks were four times as likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than whites. If Mayor Pete wants to seriously contend for the Democratic nomination, he's going to really need how to answer such questions. In the meantime, though, he can continue stealing white votes from Biden.

2) Elizabeth Warren: Yet another steady, strong performance turned in by the Massachusetts Senator. If nothing else, she's consistent. In that, she's the antithesis to Donald Trump. Then again, he's consistently inconsistent. I may have to ponder this over some more...

1) Amy Klobuchar: Wow, where did that come from? Granted, the Minnesota Senator has been making significant improvements after her first two performances, which were quiet and shaky, to be nice. She's continued to progressively improve in such settings, however, and in my opinion, blew past the competition in this debate. It wasn't even close. Her zingers were effective. She came across as personal, caring, and genuine. ...and that closing statement was one of the better ones I've heard for a while. Nope, no snark needed here. Great job, Amy! ...and wait, what was that FDR story again? Okay, I couldn't resist...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"