Skip to main content

I hate filing complaints against waiters, but...

I really hate filing complaints against waiters. They hardly get paid anything and rely on tips to make any kind of money. I filed a complaint one time against a bartender, because I was told by a buddy of mine that well drinks were half off, so when the bartender charged me $5, I simply said, "I thought wells were half off tonight."

He replied and I quote, "Do you have a vagina?"

Not believing what I had just heard, I said, "What?"

He repeated himself, "Do you have a vagina?"

Keep in mind, I didn't know this guy and it was my first time at this particular bar. So, I filed a complaint and was rewarded very nicely in an attempt to persuade me to give the bar another chance. I did one time to make use of the certificates, but felt no need to go back after that. I thought it was a very nice gesture, but still didn't convince me to go there much.

I believe that's the only time I've filed a complaint and I'd have to say it was well deserved.

So, today, my mother and I went to Friday's. I still had a gift card with $21 on it, so I thought it'd be a very cheap meal. In the grand scheme of things, it was fairly cheap, but not as cheap as it should have been.

When asked what we wanted to drink, my mother and I both said water and the waiter just wouldn't have it. He became very animated and said, "You can't order water! The other waiters and I are having this contest. If any of us can go an entire shift without a customer ordering water, we'll win about $30. I have the night off and I never get Friday night's off! So, come on, guys. Lemonade. Coffee. Soda pop. Tea. Anything but water! I'll even buy you one of the two."

So, my mother and I said okay. She ordered a blue raspberry slushy, while I ordered a Dr. Pepper. Given the fact neither of us drinks much besides water, we drank maybe half of our respective beverages.

When we made our orders, the waiter asked me if I'd like to substitute anything for the rice or broccoli, to which I responded with, "I'd like some seasoned fries instead of the broccoli." I don't care for broccoli and as much as I hate this, I love fries.

He came back with, "No. Come on. You HAVE to have broccoli with this meal! It's like a requirement! Just get a side of fries. It's only $0.99." Again, I said fine.

When my mother and I got the bill, it was a little over $31. The waiter never paid for either of our drinks, the fries were $1.99 and the drinks and fries were a combined $8, a little more than 25% of the total bill. Heck, including the $21 gift card, our bill was a little over $10 and would have been $2 without the drinks or fries, so it was responsible for a little over 80% of what we actually paid.

I thought that was a load of crap right there. Granted, my mother and/or I could have stood firm against his begging and pleading, but would have felt bad to have ended his chance at $30 by day's end.

I've never waited before, so I could be wrong about this, but I have a hunch it states in the waiter handbook, "Thou shalt not tell a customer he or she can't order something unless it's no longer available. Also, thou shalt not pressure a customer to order something for anything, even personal gain." I have a feeling it'd be looked upon as discourteous and unprofessional, but perhaps that's just me. So, yes, I filed a complaint. I didn't mention the guy's name, as I'd rather he not get into too serious of trouble, but said if that information was essential, I would provide it. We'll see how that goes.

Well, I better go. I plan on going to a library and being yelled at by a librarian to check out a book I didn't want. Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"