Skip to main content

A scale of a nightmare

Two months after I moved to Columbus, which was about 4 years ago, I remember getting out of the shower, looking in the mirror and not liking what I saw. My weight had increased to 186 lbs. and due to my poor workout and eating habits, I wasn't about to see a decrease in my weight anytime soon if I kept things going as they were. So, on that day, I decided to make some changes. I stopped drinking soda pop and sports drinks and went straight to water and water only. I stopped eating junk food. I went from fried meat to grilled. I also began to work out more. I lost a good 20-25 lbs. over the course of the year through these altered habits. I then became ill for a couple years, which prevented me from working out. Fortunately, while I couldn't work out, my eating habits didn't alter and I only gained 5 lbs. back. When I finally got to feeling better, I felt a motivation I had never possessed before and went on to lose another 20-25 lbs. for a total of around 45 lbs. since the time I started. Things were going great until July of last year and I had an emergency gall-bladder surgery to remove my gall bladder and with that, a massive gallstone. The surgery was said to have gone well, but it became very difficult for me to work out, as it hurt to strain that part of my body. Every now and again, I would try to work out, but would ultimately fail and over the months, I've unfortunately given in to some of my old habits of eating some junk food and fried foods, while still only consuming water. For the first time since my surgery last July, I stepped on the scale Friday morning and saw that I had gained 25 lbs. back. I had a feeling I had gained some weight, but as many thought I was too thin upon my losing 45 lbs, I thought some weight gain may have been good, perhaps around 10-15 lbs. I figured that's what I had gained, that I'd be around 155-160. My 30'' jeans still fit. My small-size shirts still fit. To say I was shocked to learn I had gained 25 lbs. would be quite the understatement. That was depressing. All that hard work and dedication and I'm back to where I was just following my feeling better in December of 2010. Fortunately, this came to my attention prior to my diving all the way back to where I was upon my moving here, as I'm 20 lbs. lighter than I was at that point. 

The trouble now will be finding the motivation I had a year ago. I'll be able to alter my eating habits again without much problem, but getting back into the workout routine won't be incredibly easy. I just hope I can turn this around again. Ever since stepping on that scale on Friday, it's all I can think about. I feel fat, lazy, unattractive and as common wisdom would have it, I don't like it. But, I did it once. I'm now cognizant of my ability to do that, so I know I can do it again. Hopefully that started with a workout on Friday and won't end anytime soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"