Skip to main content

The foreshadowing of "Idiocracy"

When first seeing Mike Judge's 2006 film, Idiocracy, my first thought was, "Well, this could go down as the cleverest stupid movie I've ever witnessed." I thought that while the film held a clever premise, the jokes induced about as many facepalms as when a semi-rational person listens to Rush Limbaugh's radio show. However, after seeing what occurred during Tuesday's elections, I have to wonder if Mike Judge is psychic and the film was almost a scarily accurate portrayal of what was to come eight years down the line.

On Tuesday night, the following measures got passed in different parts of the country:

- Stricter gun-control measures

- Minimum wage increases

- Anti-fracking measures

- Legalizing medical marijuana

- Legalizing recreational marijuana

- Voting down anti-abortion amendments

Also on Tuesday night, Republicans gained control of the Senate, further solidified their control in the House, and increased their quantity of governors across the country.

So, let's get this straight, the majority of the people in this country believe in the following:

- Gays should be allowed to get married

- Women should have the right choose what to do with their bodies after they are impregnated

- Marijuana should at least be legalized medically, and possibly recreationally

- There should be stricter gun control laws

- We should do more about fracking

- The uber-wealthy should pay higher taxes

- We should pass immigration reform

- The minimum wage should be increased

- Gridlock between the president and Congress is rather annoying

Yet, even though most Republicans believe in the direct opposite of most all of these issues (in many cases, all of them), and they're the main reason there is such gridlock between the president and Congress, the country, while supporting progressive ballot initiatives, decided to support conservative politicians, which, odds would have it, worsen the gridlock. I realize many Democrats had a very poor campaign strategy of running away from President Obama's policies, rather than focusing on the improved economy, however, I'd also think that common sense would dictate to most people, "Well, gee, I agree with most everything candidate A (the Democrat) wants to get done and almost nothing candidate B (the Republican) wants to get done, so, you know what? I'm going to be crazy and go with candidate A!"

After hearing the before-mentioned results on Tuesday night, I seriously wondered if conversations like the following had occurred all across this nation:

Chester Dumbass: "So, where do you stand on the minimum wage issue?"

Justin Lalaland: "I think it should be increased! How about you?"

Dumbass: "Yeah, same here. What about things like marijuana, immigration reform, gun control, and taxes?"

Lalaland: "That's a lot of stuff! Well, I mean, I drink, so whatever about marijuana, you know? I'd rather get a pothead angry than a drunk. Actually, I'm not sure you can get a pothead angry, can you?"

Dumbass: "Yeah, I was just going to say, isn't that an Oxycontin or something?"

Lalaland: "You mean, oxymoron?"

Dumbass: "Yeah, that"

Lalaland: "Anyway, where was I?"

Dumbass: "Immigration and all that other stuff I said"

Lalaland: "Oh yeah... So, I definitely support immigration reform, think we should probably pass stricter gun laws - to at least close some loopholes that make it easier for criminals to purchase them, and well, we all hate taxes, but need them, you know? Speaking of loopholes, the wealthy should have to pay at least as high of a percentage as the rest of us, if not higher. So, I think those loopholes should be closed too. How about you?"

Dumbass: "Yeah, I completely agree with you about everything you said. So, who are you going to vote for?"

Lalaland: "I think I'll be voting straight-ticket Republican. How about you?"

Dumbass: "Me too! But, don't they disagree with everything you said you supported a few seconds ago?"

Lalaland: "Yep"

Dumbass: "So why are voting for them again?"

Lalaland: "I'm not sure. It just feels right I guess. I mean, if we can't get politicians who completely disagree with us on issues to pass measures supporting those issues, then we'll never see them get passed, right?"

Dumbass: "Yeah, I guess. I mean, what?"

Lalaland: "Oh, let's not worry about logic. Let's stop thinking and go vote Republican!"

Dumbass: "Yeah!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"