Skip to main content

Calling out Steve Harvey for calling out atheists

I haven't followed comedian Steve Harvey's career too closely, but ever since he became host of the game show Family Feud, I've been much more prone to tuning in than I had been previously. In addition to the more adult humor displayed on the show and the greater frequency of laughs as a result, Harvey appears to be having a genuinely good time, which makes the show twice as enjoyable to watch.

Even though I've enjoyed watching Harvey as the show's host and tend to enjoy his humor, I had to shake my head at some recent comments he made while speaking to CNN's Joy Behar. A portion of the back-and-forth went like this:

Behar: "You say in the book (Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man) that you wouldn't go out with a woman, I guess, a woman should not go out with a man that doesn't believe in God."

Harvey: "No, I mean, why would you?"

Behar: "Do you believe that only people who are religious are ethical and moral?"

Harvey: "No, I just believe if you don't believe in God, then where is your moral barometer? That's just me talking. You can believe what you want to believe. But if you're an atheist, you're basing your goodness and morality on what? I mean, but what is an atheist? I don't really get into that. I've talked to people all the time. I'm an atheist. I just walk away. I don't know what to say to you."

Behar: "Well, an atheist is someone that doesn't quite believe that there is somebody out there, some God out there."

Harvey: "Well, then, to me you're an idiot."

Behar: "Okay. Well..."

Harvey: "I'm cool with that. Probably not the right, politically correct thing to say. But if you don't believe in God, I mean, really, you have to have an explanation for this. You can't just tell me it spun out of a gastrous ball and then all of a sudden we were evolved from monkeys. Why we still got monkeys? There is too much open. I just believe that and if you don't believe that, then I don't like talking to you."

Hmm... From the sounds of it, Harvey graduated from an online university, earning the only ever degrees in the fields of, "What is Science?" and "Moral Hypocrisy 101."

It cracks me up to hear Harvey recommend that women shouldn't date male atheists, because, as he put it, where is their "moral barometer"? The reason it makes me chuckle is the fact that Steve Harvey has been married three times and at least one ex-wife has reported him having multiple affairs throughout their marriage, including while she was pregnant.

Harvey: "Ladies, the first question you should ask your man to know he's a keeper is, 'Does he have a relationship with God?"

Me: "Ladies, the first question you should ask your man to know he's a keeper is, 'Has he been married more than two times and has he had multiple affairs during at least one of the three marriages, including when his wife was pregnant?"

Harvey: "Where's a man's moral barometer at if he doesn't believe in God?"

Me: "Where's a man's moral barometer at if he gets married three times, sleeps around with other women during at least one of the marriages, and while she's pregnant, no less?"

I also had to chuckle at Harvey's "you're-an-idiot" line and his elaboration of it.

Harvey: "But if you don't believe in God, I mean, really, you have to have an explanation for this. You can't just tell me it spun out of a gastrous ball and then all of a sudden we were evolved from monkeys. Why we still got monkeys? There is too much open. I just believe that and if you don't believe that, then I don't like talking to you."

Me: "But if you believe in God, I mean, really, you have to have an explanation for this. You can't just tell me an invisible man created the world, that a virgin woman gave birth to a perfect child, that this child eventually died on a cross for all of man's sins, so after we die, we are afforded the opportunity to live with him in a paradise known as heaven for all eternity, and he then rose from the dead three days later. Why have we yet to see or hear him? There are just too many unanswered questions and too little evidence. I just believe that and if you don't believe that, I will still talk to you, because I don't want to shut myself out from possibly learning something new."

I'm not necessarily an atheist, but have been friends with: Atheists, Christians, agnostics, Mormons, Seventh-Day Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Buddhists, Muslims, etc. I may not agree with a portion (large or small) of what they believe in, however, so long as they respect me and my beliefs, I'll respect them and theirs. I find it kind of ironic that Steve Harvey basically insinuates that he won't talk to people whom disagree with him on the concept of God, especially atheists, and refers to them as idiots in the process. By closing multiple mental doors as he has, it limits the quantity of information which can be processed, and this, in turn, increases the odds of him being uneducated when it comes to those very subjects which those doors have blocked from entering. Also, there is such a thing as an individual having a decent moral barometer void of belief in a higher power. More people have been killed in the name of God than any other. How can we then judge a person's moral barometer on whether or not they believe in God? A fear of God and of hell may indeed provide some with a stronger moral barometer than they would otherwise have. However, not all are in need of this fear in order to have a decent moral barometer. Some don't need the fear of hell to help a person in need. Some don't need the fear of God to volunteer for good causes. Some don't need these fears to be good, upstanding citizens, loving parents and spouses, and the epitome of selfless. Just as some whom believe in God are decent people and others are not, so is the case with non-believers - some are decent people and others are not. For Steve Harvey to feel differently and to completely dismiss groups of people and cast them off as idiots because they think contrary to him on a concept that can neither be proved nor disproved while alive, makes him sound like the true idiot.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/steve-harvey-atheists-me-you-re-idiot?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=marketing&utm_term=facebook&utm_content=facebook&utm_campaign=b-steve-harvey

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2011/01/steve-harveys-ex-wife-speaks-out-hes-a-cheater/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"