Skip to main content

The Surreal World

Life can be difficult to explain to oneself at times, let alone to others. Whether one relives an intense or traumatic life experience through a dream, subconsciously thinking it's happening again, or awaking from a vivid dream only to experience what was depicted in it shortly thereafter, life can sometimes feel surreal. That's how this past week has felt for me - surreal. It's ironic in a way, for Memorial Day (weekend) is the day where many people utter the line, "Always remember" or "Never forget," yet this past holiday weekend was one I don't feel I could exactly remember or forget. So many drastic changes occurred around me, I suddenly felt the need to rub my eyes, slap myself across the face, and mumble, "Am I dreaming?" Like in the film Office Space, however, I've yet to fully snap out of this odd hypnosis.

Change is inevitable. No matter how much one may despise the concept of change, it will continually rear its head in one's life, and if it's not acknowledged nor adapted to, could firmly take hold of one's life. Sadly, while many people may attend protests, sign petitions, and knock on doors to fight for progressive changes around the country and world, we rarely look at the impact of change, good and bad, on an individual basis. It's easier to shout at the top of our lungs that we should adopt universal healthcare in this country than it is to look a mother in the eyes, who just lost her child, and shout something similar. Bumper sticker slogans and catchy talking points are a much easier route to travel when trying to spread word about about potential policy changes than it is to get more specific and personal. Sadly, it also seems to be the more effective route.

Experiencing a major life event has a far different impact on a person than just reading or hearing about it. A lifetime NRA member will forever look at the phrase "guns don't kill people; people kill people" differently if he or she loses a loved one due to a gunshot. An anti-gay rights activist will likely soften his or her views on the matter if their child comes out of the closet. It's very easy to dehumanize a group of people if we don't believe to know anyone in that very group, but much more difficult when someone in our inner-circle steps forward and says, "You know that group you were insulting last week? I'm one of them. That's me. That's always been me."

Through our life experiences, how we were raised, among other factors, each and every person has a different view of reality. When change enters our lives, it then alters our perceived realities, and forces us to deny our new reality or to adapt to it. If we deny these changes, we'll essentially be void of present-day reality, for we'll be living in the past. If we admit and adapt to these changes, however, that opens us up to the possibility of a new and brighter reality than we could ever recall in our past. I'm sure I'll be in the latter camp eventually, but for the time being at least, I continue to rub my eyes and mumble, "Is this just a dream?" While change is inevitable, fully adapting to change can still be difficult.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"