Skip to main content

Vince Vaughn: "Guns are like forks, man."

I rarely spend any time researching celebrities' personal lives or opinions. It's not like I watch an Alfred Hitchcock-directed film because I agreed with his stance on capital punishment or I listen to a new Green Day album because I read somewhere that the band enjoys Indian food as much as I do. I just simply try to appreciate celebrities for their talents and not look much deeper than that. Occasionally there are times, however, where a celebrity makes a statement so outrageous, I feel the need to make note of it while I try to not roll my eyes so far back I need to be taken to Linda Blair's doctor to situate them properly again. Actor Vince Vaughn provided such a moment for me today, and yes, my eyes are fine.

When talking to GQ magazine, the star of films such as: Wedding Crashers, Swingers, Dodgeball, Couples Retreat, and Fred Claus, said this:

"Of course. You think the politicians that run my country and your country don't have guns in the schools their kids go to? They do. And we should be allowed the same rights. Banning guns is like banning forks in an attempt to stop making people fat. Taking away guns, drugs, booze ... It won't rid the world of criminality."

He continued with the following:

"We don't have the right to bear arms because of burglars. We have the right to bear arms to resist the supreme power of a corrupt and abusive government. It's not about duck hunting, it's about the ability of the individual. It's the same reason we have freedom of speech. It's well known that the greatest defence against an intruder is the sound of a gun hammer being pulled back."

He added:

"Take mass shootings. They've only happened in places that don't allow guns. These people are sick in the head and are going to kill innocent people. They are look to slaughter defenceless human beings ... In all of our schools it is illegal to have guns on campus, so again and again these guys go and shoot up these ... schools because they know there are no guns there. They are monsters killing six-year-olds."

Yes, that guns-to-forks comparison is probably my favorite line of the lot as well...

Well, instead of discrediting Vaughn's claims, including that before-mentioned fallacy, which would be far too easy anyway, I thought I'd go a more light-hearted route and poke fun of Vaughn's commentary through sarcastic tweets I wrote earlier today, in which I used the actor's films and quotes against him. Here they are:

- New wedding crasher rule: "Never go to a wedding without at least two loaded guns."

- The Rules of Wedding Crashing
Rule #5: Never let a girl come between you and your gun.

- The Rules of Wedding Crashing
Rule #12: When it stops being fun, shoot something.

- The Rules of Wedding Crashing
Rule #86: Guns say a lot about the man.

- Vince Vaughn: "Couples Retreat would have been so much better if there had been more guns."

- Vince Vaughn: "Banning guns is like banning forks. Forks don't kill people; people kill people!"

- Vince Vaughn: "If we want to see our schools improve, we need better teachers, more attentive students, & more guns in classrooms. Fact."

- "BREAKING NEWS: Vince Vaughn to star in the sequel to Fred Claus, titled, Fred Claus 2: Locked and Loaded."

- If Vince Vaughn were a dodgeball coach: "If you can dodge a gun, you can dodge a ball!"

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/01/vince-vaughn-guns-in-schools-will-prevent-mass-shootings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"