Skip to main content

I received quite the e-mail last week in response to a poll I posted on Facebook (and was defriended as a result)

Never did I think I'd receive such a lovely e-mail and be defriended due to poll results I posted on my Facebook page.

I read about this very poll at the following site - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/21/fox-news-viewers-less-informed-people-fairleigh-dickinson_n_1106305.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

The full poll results can be read at this site - http://publicmind.fdu.edu/2011/knowless/

What was the headline regarding this very poll? That regular Fox News viewers are less informed due to the network's stories and commentary than if they didn't watch the news at all.

The poll focused on three questions. The first pertained to the protests in Egypt which helped bring down the regime there. The question asked if the protests were successful in attaining this very goal.

Of twelve prominent sources (NPR, The Daily Show, Sunday Morning Political News Show, National Newspaper, Political Blog/News Website, National News Broadcast, CNN, MSNBC, Talk Radio Show, Local Newspaper, Local TV News Broadcast and Fox News), Fox respondents were the most inaccurate, as just 49% of them claimed that yes, the protests in Egypt were successful, 19 percentage points behind NPR and The Daily Show, which led the group, and 3 percentage points behind #11 on the list - A Local TV News Broadcast.

The second question asked about opposition groups in Syria and if they've been successful in bringing down the regime there. Once again, Fox scored the lowest on the being-accurately-informed scale, as 45% of respondents said no, 21% behind NPR and 2% behind MSNBC for the eleventh spot on the list.

The third and final question asked if the Occupy Wall Street protesters were mostly Republicans or Democrats. I think this is the weakest of the three questions, as it's more difficult to measure the accuracy of the protesters' party affiliations than to know how successful the protests were in Egypt and Syria. In any case, Fox placed 11th out of 12 in this list, with 46% of respondents claiming the protesters are mostly Democrats, ahead of only MSNBC at 44%. Fox was still 17% behind NPR on this question.

This wasn't the first time I saw such results reported via polls, where Fox News viewers were showcased as the least-well informed (or very close to it) of all major news outlets. No, this doesn't necessarily make it a fact, but there does appear to be a trend with regard to such a finding and with that, I think we can fairly safely conclude that regular Fox News viewers are typically much less well informed than the majority of major news outlets.

Anyway, so I "shared" the poll results on Facebook, was defriended due to this by a person and sent the following e-mail:

"Craig, you are probably surprised to find out I am no longer your friend. Well you shouldn't be. For someone who is constantly mocking those who don't think like you, you shouldn't be surprised that someone who doesn't think like you doesn't value your friendship. I am tired Craig...tired of people like you. People who have never ventured beyond the confines of their parent's house nor actually worked a real job constantly trying to educate others on how the real world works and mocking those who don't share your values and ideas. You seem to live to put others down, and that is just really sad. I know lots of people who put up political statements for things that matter to them but you are the only one of my (former) friends who not only thinks it is okay to trash people just for the sake that they are republican or conservative, but gets a weird sense of moral superiority from it. I know that in all of your world experience, you think you are some bastion on what the proper way of thinking is and that people who think like you are truly the educated and informed but people who don't are either stupid or just not educated enough. I have news for you...your not the bastion of the proper way of thinking...no one is and the truly intelligent know that. So go ahead, live your life and continue to spread the word on dumb conservatives and intelligent progressives. It will continue to serve you well I am sure but I am no longer an outlet for your non-stop anti-conservative and anti-Republican news ticker. When you are ready to grow up and realize that it isn't necessary to live in constant attack of those who don't think like you maybe we can talk again. In the meantime, I will continue to live my life with friends who I just didn't meet on facebook who come from all around the world and have different ideas on things yet we are able to build truly meaningful relationships because we have respect for eachother. Because it is respect, Craig, that is the basis of any good relationship."

Before I dissect this e-mail, let me just make note that this individual consistently posts politically-charged statuses, articles and notes on Facebook, all which showcase he is to the far right on the political spectrum. His father also posts such things and at an even greater clip than his son (or myself). Also, I really don't want to use this as an excuse, but this individual does suffer from Aspberger Syndrome and is known for angry and violent outbursts. With all of that in mind, here we go:

"Craig, you are probably surprised to find out I am no longer your friend. Well you shouldn't be. For someone who is constantly mocking those who don't think like you, you shouldn't be surprised that someone who doesn't think like you doesn't value your friendship."

I'd have to say I was a bit surprised. I mean, I know several people whom make political statements themselves or post news articles to paint a certain party or candidate in either a positive or negative light. Half the time, I don't agree with these comments or the op-ed piece presented, but I'm not going to defriend someone due to a difference in opinion. I may not agree with them and may even get a little agitated at times, but just like I have this very right, so do they to express their opinion on a matter. Also, I'm not sure how it was that my posting poll results was indicative that I was mocking people whom don't think like me. I know many conservatives whom don't watch Fox News regularly. They may tend to read the Wall Street Journal or something of the like. I don't think the poll was suggesting that regular Fox News viewers are stupid. I think the finding was merely pointing out that it appears as if Fox News viewers are often times more misinformed than regular readers/viewers of other major news sources. ...and it's not like I conducted this poll. I was only sharing its findings. If he really has a problem with it, take it up with Farleigh Dickinson University, not me.

"I am tired Craig...tired of people like you. People who have never ventured beyond the confines of their parent's house nor actually worked a real job constantly trying to educate others on how the real world works and mocking those who don't share your values and ideas."

For the record, this person still lives at his parents' house and doesn't currently have a job, as he's going to school. I have absolutely no problem with that, but the fact he seemed to claim I live at home and don't have a "real" job I think makes the subjects fair game. How one defines a job as a "real" one is beyond me, but apparently this person knows and whether or not another person his age lived at home is not comparable to his still living at his parents'. I honestly wonder if he's at all cognizant about these double standards.

Person A: "Gosh! Why don't you get out of your parents' house already! Go out and get a real job!"

Person B: "Where do you live again?"

Person A: "My dad's, but that's different."

Person B: "Where do you work?"

Person A: "Nowhere, but I'm going to school and again, that's different."

Also, how am I trying to educate others on how the real world works and mocking others whom don't share my values and opinions? Again, these poll results were not of my finding. I didn't create this poll, slant it and make certain that it depicted regular Fox News viewers in a negative light. To take from Fox News themselves, "I report. You decide." I reported the poll's findings and what a reader wants to conclude from those results is up to them.

"You seem to live to put others down, and that is just really sad. I know lots of people who put up political statements for things that matter to them but you are the only one of my (former) friends who not only thinks it is okay to trash people just for the sake that they are republican or conservative, but gets a weird sense of moral superiority from it."

I think of everything this individual wrote, the only line that bothered me was that first one in this section - "You seem to live to put others down...". It shows he doesn't know me at all. Live to put others down? Really? Yeah, that does sound pretty sad. Considering the fact not a single other person has uttered those very words to me before and a strong majority has told me the direct opposite (those whom know me much better than him), I found this statement to be ridiculous. Again, he seems to lose sight of the fact that I didn't concoct this poll. I didn't make up the results. This wasn't my doing. Granted, I have posted other politically-charged pieces, but 3 out of 4 are comical, in sharing clips from The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. Often times, politicians drive me nuts and it keeps my sanity in tact to be able to laugh at these very individuals and I'm guessing I'm not the only one. Late night talk show hosts would be out of jobs if not for the daily material they receive via politicians. Also, I find his comment kind of funny, because he and his father both tend to put down Democrats, liberals and progressives. Fox News, of which he's a regular viewer, is well known for this as well, with the likes of Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, formerly Glenn Beck, etc. Where would the likes of them be without putting down Democrats and liberals? Once again, the double standard. Also, I don't lay claim that I'm right about something or that I'm morally superior. When I joke around about politicians, there's usually a good reason for it, like Anthony Weiner's tweets or Herman Cain's alleged misbehavior. I don't generalize that conservatives are less moral or less intelligent than I or progressives in general. I do have opinions, though. Just as this individual tends to disagree with liberals and/or Democrats, I tend to disagree with conservatives and/or Republicans. Does this necessarily mean that when he illustrates this difference of opinion with said Democrats/liberals, that he's claiming to be morally superior to them? No? Then why is that the case with my illustrating a difference of opinion with Republicans/conservatives?

"I know that in all of your world experience, you think you are some bastion on what the proper way of thinking is and that people who think like you are truly the educated and informed but people who don't are either stupid or just not educated enough. I have news for you...your not the bastion of the proper way of thinking...no one is and the truly intelligent know that."

First of all, I found this sentence to be amusing - "I have news for you...YOUR not the bastion of the proper way of thinking..." Perhaps not, but I am proud to state I can properly differentiate between "your" and "you're". Secondly, I also found it funny that he claimed I'm not the bastion of the proper way of thinking, that no one is and the truly intelligent know that. Isn't he claiming that he's truly intelligent since he acknowledges that he doesn't claim to be the "bastion" of the proper way of thinking, yet is claiming that this is the proper way of thinking? Joking aside, I'm still not certain I understand why these poll results prompted such statements. My reporting of poll results showcases that I believe those whom may not typically agree with my views (Fox News viewers in this case) are stupid? There's a difference between a person being misinformed and being stupid. Certainly, there can be overlap between the two, but I can't state with any certainty what the frequency of that occurrence is. Also, at no point in time have I stated that there is one proper way of thinking. I'm anything but a black-and-white thinker. This typically drives people nuts when I attempt to discuss an issue with them, because it's difficult for me to see one ultimate correct answer. I have to do my research, think critically, weigh all the options and come to as concise of a conclusion as I can. Even at that point, however, I'm willing to learn and adjust my opinion accordingly. Without different manners of thinking, this knowledge and opinion expansion wouldn't be possible, so it'd be pretty ignorant of me (or anyone) to dismiss all other forms of thinking outside of my (our) own.

"So go ahead, live your life and continue to spread the word on dumb conservatives and intelligent progressives. It will continue to serve you well I am sure but I am no longer an outlet for your non-stop anti-conservative and anti-Republican news ticker. When you are ready to grow up and realize that it isn't necessary to live in constant attack of those who don't think like you maybe we can talk again."

Again, I see this as nothing but one double standard after another. This individual continually spreads word about liberals/Democrats which paints them in a negative light. His father does the same, as does Fox News, yet I don't hear him complaining about any such rantings. That's alright. When an individual paints what he agrees with in a negative light, then we have a problem. Whereas he is just expressing his opinion, which is protected in the First Amendment, I and others like me are spewing hate. There's also the lovely bit of exaggeration - "...non-stop anti-conservative and anti-Republican news ticker". Yup, that's it - "non-stop". I either don't sleep or if I do, I have this magical way of posting anti-conservative and anti-Republican articles and soundbites on Facebook. No wonder I dressed up like Jesus on Halloween this year! I also like how he suggests I "grow up," yet he is the one whom defriended me because of a poll I shared on Facebook.

"In the meantime, I will continue to live my life with friends who I just didn't meet on facebook who come from all around the world and have different ideas on things yet we are able to build truly meaningful relationships because we have respect for eachother. Because it is respect, Craig, that is the basis of any good relationship."

Okay, I have no clue where he got the idea that I've met several or any of my friends off Facebook. For the record, I've never met anyone off Facebook. Everyone on my page I know from somewhere else. It's not like I peruse the Facebook search option for random names, decide to pick and choose a few and then ask if they would like to meet at some point. I actually hold in my possession a hat with random first names written on pieces of paper placed inside it. Every morning when I awaken, I draw a name, search that very name on Facebook and send a friend request to someone in the area whom has that very name. It's quite the system. I've been very pleased with the results so far. Okay, so none of that is true. I have never met anyone off Facebook before, so I have no idea where he got that information, probably Fox News. Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's pretty amazing that he got so bent out of shape over this poll. I'm from Nebraska, one of the reddest states in the country. The majority of people I know from back home are conservative/Republican. Just about my entire mom's side of the family fit this label. Just about everyone in my sister-in-law's family fits this description as well. A good chunk of my friends do also. While I've learned with whom it's probably best to not discuss politics with, as they lose their temper fairly quickly and civil discourse is about as likely as winning the lottery, there are many people with whom I may regularly disagree politically speaking, that I can talk politics with. I have many liberal/progressive friends as well, but it seems as if this person wants to cast himself as open-minded on all levels and me as very close-minded. He's right that relationships, in large part, are built on respect, but I'm lost on why he feels I don't respect him and in turn, how he's showing any more respect for me than I am for him. He's consistently posted opinions I haven't agreed with. I'm not going to lay claim that due to our difference of opinion, he doesn't respect me or our friendship. If he openly attacks me and makes it personal, then that is another matter entirely, but just because a person showcases they don't agree with you on something, doesn't mean they don't respect you. That's one thing I've observed with more frequency through the years - it seems as if more and more people are taking disagreements over politics as being personal, like if a person doesn't hold the same beliefs as they with regard to abortion, it means that person disrespects the other as a person. If this were true, we'd all be in big trouble, because I don't know of two people whom hold identical beliefs as one another. Once again, that would be pretty dull and would eliminate the opportunity for knowledge and through that, opinion expansion. I also don't see it as being very respectful to send a person such an e-mail and defriend them without attempting to talk things out first.

It's too bad things ended as they did, but it seems quite obvious to me now that this person wasn't who I thought they were, that he knows next to nothing about me and that our friendship meant little to nothing to him. I hold no ill feelings toward him due to this and wish him well, but think it's probably for the best that we don't pretend to have something we obviously don't share.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"