Skip to main content

Why do some find seizures/epilepsy funny?

Since I have battled epilepsy for approximately 26 of my 30 years (who knows, perhaps longer), perhaps I'm a bit more sensitive to this condition than most other people. However, I can't for the life of me understand why some people think that seizures or epilepsy in general are funny.

I can sometimes understand cracking jokes about certain conditions, such as attention-deficit disorder. I saw a t-shirt which states, "They say I have A.D.D., which I don't understand. Oh, look! A chicken!"

I admit, I find that pretty funny and while I don't necessarily find the condition itself to be at all humorous, I also think it's less sensitive a subject than many other conditions, given the fact it's not going to be fatal.

That's the crossing line for me between what could potentially be funny without being offensive and going a bit too far and likely hurting others' feelings due to their sensitivities on the condition. I don't hear many jokes regarding cancer or AIDS/HIV. Unless you're Rush Limbaugh, I don't know too many people whom crack jokes about Parkinson's disease. All three of these conditions are potentially fatal. They control a person's life and more times than not, end it.

So, what's so funny about epilepsy? Some don't seem to realize that seizures can be fatal as well, especially of the grand-mal variety and if the seizures themselves aren't fatal, there is the chance that it was triggered by a malignant tumor, which would in all likelihood be fatal as well.

So, what is it? The shaking which typically occurs in grand-mal seizures? The potential triggers, such as strobe lights? Why is that funny? I can guarantee that 95% of the people whom poke fun at seizures have never endured one themselves. If they went through one or witnessed a friend or family member going through one, I can all but guarantee they would no longer crack jokes about this condition.

Also, it seems as if the grand-mal seizure and shaking that typically goes along with it is what the majority of people think of when they picture a seizure. However, the majority of seizures are not like this. They don't involve shaking or drooling or walking around in circles. In all the years I've fought epilepsy, I've endured one grand-mal seizure. The rest are known as absence seizures and are much more common than the before-mentioned grand mals. Grand mals are more frightening to onlookers, but for the person enduring the seizure, absence seizures are just as frightening.

Unless one is an actual doctor, particularly a neurologist, or someone is close to another and familiar with the condition due to it, another person isn't likely to notice an individual going through an absence seizure. It would appear to them that the individual is just spacing off, perhaps daydreaming and nothing abnormal is taking place. For the individual actually going through the seizure would state, they're not just spacing off or daydreaming. One becomes physically paralyzed for a couple minutes (seems longer) when they endure an absence seizure. Life becomes surreal, as they're aware of their surroundings. They can hear what's going on around them, yet can't open their mouths, can't speak, can't move. It's as if they're in a vegetative state, yet mentally aware of what's going on. The strange head sensation takes control of the body and there's nothing that can be done about it and while going through this surreal nightmare, one has to then wonder if they will ever snap out of it. Another could poke you in the shoulder, yet you couldn't turn their way. Another could yell your name, yet you couldn't respond. A teacher could call upon you to answer a question and you wouldn't be able to do so. It has to be one of the most frightening events a person can face, for they don't know if what is transpiring will be gone in a minute or be permanent and regardless of the timeline of the seizure, there's absolutely nothing they can do about it. They're helpless to the world and themselves. How a person can find that funny is beyond me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"