Skip to main content

Is there such a thing as mental cheating? Many say no, but I say yes.

As I've stated before, "cheating" is often times a shades-of-grey kind of issue, and the definition often times differs from person to person. Due to that, I've always said it's probably a good idea to date a person with whom you agree on the matter, in order to limit the potential misunderstandings regarding it. This especially seems to be the case when it comes to non-physical forms of cheating. While most everyone feels that participating in anything sexual with a person outside of a relationship is cheating, approximately 55% of women and 40% of men feel that passionately kissing someone outside of a relationship constitutes as cheating, and far fewer men than women feel that sexting with another can be viewed as cheating. Women also tend to believe in such a thing called emotional cheating much more so than men do. But what about mental cheating? Is there even such a thing? If so, what is it exactly, and how could we be certain that the person we're with has or hasn't ever had such thoughts?

Mental cheating, by some, is considered to be the act of sexually fantasizing about a person outside of a relationship, especially if one thinks about this person when being sexual with his or her partner (or themselves, I suppose).

So, is that a form of cheating or just harmless fun? Is it only cheating if the thoughts are about an ex or someone they personally know, as opposed to a celebrity? Is it only cheating if they're being sexual with their partner, but not so much if they're by themselves? Is it healthy or unhealthy for a person to fantasize about others outside of their relationship, and is it healthy or unhealthy for the actual relationship? If a person has such thoughts, should they be honest and share them, and would sharing such thoughts be as detrimental to the relationship as if they remained hidden?

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think there's a black-and-white answer to these questions. There are countless different opinions on the matter, and to limit potential misunderstandings, I think it's extremely important to find a partner with whom you completely (or mostly) agree when it comes to cheating. In my personal opinion, however, I think it is a form of cheating.

It wouldn't matter as much (if at all), in my opinion, if a couple was simply having a fling, if they were friends with benefits, and/or didn't have a long-term relationship in mind. Their main objective would be sexual gratification, so where their minds and hearts were (figuratively speaking, of course) when they engaged in such acts likely wouldn't mean a great deal to either. However, if the couple did have something long-term in mind and had expressed their love to one another in every which way, then I think the concept of mental cheating is a much bigger deal and could severely damage, if not completely ruin a relationship.

Healthy, happy, long-lasting relationships tend to possess a special connection on multiple fronts. While the two may continue to long for one another physically and sexually, this isn't just due to their sexual urges. In fact, the pleasures they feel sexually are often times expanded to a great degree due to the mental and emotional connections they feel to one another. So, if one of those connections is off for whatever reason, that can influence and damage a connection elsewhere. If a person's mind is elsewhere when engaging in intercourse with his or her partner, that can often times be sensed and felt by their partner, which takes away from the experience on multiple levels. Not only is the sex not as gratifying, there can also be a sense of something else missing as well. If two people are truly in love with one another, why would they resort to such fantasies? Is human monogamy a fairy tale, much like romantic comedies and romance novels?

While some may say that such fantasies are natural and harmless, I tend to disagree. If I were dating a woman and found out she fantasized about others when by her lonesome, while she may try to tell me that we still possessed a significant mental and emotional connection with one another, I'd know her sexual longings were elsewhere, which would severely hamper those very mental and emotional connections. It would leave me questioning myself: Am I not good enough?; Do I not please her?; Would she rather be with someone else?; etc. If she fantasized about other guys while she and I were being physical with one another, then I'd feel like I was being used. This wouldn't be the case if I were simply to engage in a physical fling with a woman. However, when in a committed relationship with someone, I'd like for that commitment to go both ways, and if we truly loved one another, I don't see how there could be a problem with staying devoted mentally, emotionally, and physically.

I've read many argue, "Is thinking about murder a crime? No. So, thinking about adultery isn't either. Who are you, the thought-police?"

Thinking about murdering someone may not be a crime, but that still doesn't make it right. Segueing from that, thinking about engaging in something sexual with a person outside of your marriage may not technically be adultery, but once again, that still doesn't make it right. Thoughts may just be that - thoughts. However, the first step to an action is a thought. Many actual murders were once just thoughts and many acts of adultery were once just thoughts as well. Perhaps I'm simply a naive purist. However, if I was involved in a committed relationship and found out she was sexually fantasizing about other guys, I'd feel like she had lied to me about truly loving me (and being committed to me), and I'd likely feel the need to break things off and look elsewhere - for a woman I felt a mutual commitment with on all three levels - one with whom I fully agreed with on the matter of cheating.

So, is there such a thing as mental cheating? Many people - guys in particular - would say no, and the matter is very subjective. However, I believe there is such a thing - because regardless if the actions are physical, mental, or emotional, they take away some of that trust which was so hard to build, strip away at the notion of total commitment, and leave one wondering, "Why are they with me in the first place?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"