Skip to main content

My "First Take" on Stephen A. Smith's recent comments...

There are three things which amaze me more than any other: 1) Man landed on the moon, 2) How much chaos and destruction natural disasters can cause, and 3) People still watch the ESPN show First Take.

First Take is an opinion-oriented show featuring arguably two of the most disliked sports commentators in Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless. On Friday, Smith made some comments about the Ray Rice assault incident (and two-game suspension) which left many people shaking their heads in disbelief and anger. Just recently, the NFL suspended Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice two games for assaulting his ex-fiancee, Janay Palmer. With regard to the incident, Smith said this:

"Let's make sure we don't do nothing to provoke wrong actions. If we come after somebody has put their hands on you, it doesn't negate the fact that they already put their hands on you. So let's try to make sure that we can do our part in making sure that that doesn't happen."

He also added: "We also have to make sure that we learn as much as we can about the elements of provocation."

SportsNation co-host Michelle Beadle then responded with the following series of tweets:

- "So I was just forced to watch this morning's First Take. A) I'll never feel clean again B) I'm now aware that I can provoke my own beating."

- "I'm thinking about wearing a miniskirt this weekend...I'd hate to think what I'd be asking for by doing so."

She later added this:

"I was in an abusive relationship once. I'm aware that men & women can both be the abuser. To spread the message that we not 'provoke' is wrong ... Violence isn't the victim's issue. It's the abuser's. To insinuate otherwise is irresponsible and disgusting. Walk. Away."

Smith attempted to defend his remarks by writing, "What about addressing women on how they can help prevent the obvious wrong being done upon them. [I] wasn't BLAMING women for anything."

The problem with Smith's comments and defense of those comments is the fact history indicates he's made such comments before, which makes his defense appear less genuine than he'd like the public to believe.

In 2012, former Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson was charged and arrested for assault and battery of his ex-wife Evelyn Lozada. In response to the incident, Smith made the following comments:

"Her actions have been completely glossed over."

and

"I am sick and tired of men constantly being vilified and accused of things and we stop there. I'm saying, 'Can we go a step further?' Since we want to dig all deeper into Chad Johnson, can we dig in deep to her?"

The mindset of Smith and others like him is a big reason why so many rape and abuse victims are reluctant on informing the police of such incidents - they're made to feel like they did something wrong, like they could have done more to have prevented the event from occurring, and perhaps even that they provoked the situation in the first place and deserved the end result. Why, so often, must we make victims feel like they deserved such awful treatment, all the while asking what provoked the attacker in the first place?

Just like SportsNation co-host Michelle Beadle stated:

"...I'm aware that men & women can both be the abuser. To spread the message that we not 'provoke' is wrong ... Violence isn't the victim's issue. It's the abuser's. To insinuate otherwise is irresponsible and disgusting..."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/stephen-smith-controversial-remarks-domestic-violence-defends-twitter-article-1.1880343

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"