Skip to main content

Why I hate texting...

Sometimes I wonder if I was born in the wrong year or perhaps born on the wrong planet. Selfies, duck-faces, planking, fake mustaches, and other such trends, I just can't get into. Now, if an actual duck took a selfie of himself with a fake mustache on while planking, then I might be interested in seeing that picture. Reality television doesn't tickle my fancy. Neither does cable news or a good portion of talk radio. Yes, perhaps I'm a bit old school. Speaking of which, I didn't own a smart phone (I believe it has average intelligence most days, but that's just me) until two or three years ago. Even now, I only use the thing to call friends, answer calls, perhaps check email if I'm out and about, or play a word game or two. That's right - I don't text. I know what you're thinking... "What in the hell is wrong with that guy? Get with the times, slick!" Eh, no thanks...

I honestly haven't been a fan of texting since its inception. For most of my life, I've worked at the computer. Emails have been my version of texting. I can type 120 words per minute, do so with minimal typos, and in conjunction with being a writer, emails work well for me as far as communication goes when I feel like taking a short break from work. It's the perfect set-up for me. With six or seven windows open simultaneously, I can multi-task. I can: Work, respond to business-related emails, respond to friends' emails, research, and even chat with a friend or family member if time allows for it. If I get an important phone call, I'll answer it. But, otherwise, during work hours, I have pretty much everything I need right on the computer monitor.

When comparing emails to texting, I see emails as being the better form of communication. Unless a person is a professional texter, chances are he or she will be able to type much more quickly and efficiently on the larger keyboard than on their phone. No matter how skinny a person's fingers may be, there will come a time when that tiny finger will hit two letters at once on the phone and they'll have to explain their mistake after receiving a response back. Speaking of which, that's another reason why I prefer emails to texting - auto-correct. Have you seen some of those text errors due to auto-correct? Some of those senders had a lot of explaining to do... That's another thing - since people tend to be much quicker at typing on a keyboard than on a phone, this allows them to elaborate their messages more clearly to minimize the potential for misunderstandings. With all of those text abbreviations, I misunderstand some messages that are probably written correctly, just because I have no idea what in the heck they're talking about. With the abbreviations, the emoticons, and the short messages, texting just comes across to me as a lazy person's version of emailing.

Both emailing and texting are inferior to phone conversations, however. Sadly, though, it seems as if 75% of people in this country claim they're too busy to talk on the phone, yet have time to type 25 messages over the course of a couple hours via texting These messages would have likely taken just a few minutes to convey if they called the other person instead. With both emails and text messages, the tone of voice can not be heard like it can over the phone. Laughter can not be heard. Without these elements, misunderstandings become much more frequent. If someone doesn't believe me that there's really a difference between texting and conversing over the phone, read a loved one tell you they love you versus hearing them actually say it, and then tell me with a straight face there wasn't a difference... It really is amazing to see what some people seem to have no problem typing over the computer or on their phone, yet if they actually have to tell the person, they suddenly get choked up and can't get the words out.

Lastly, the best form of communication, of course, is talking to a person face-to-face. While conversing over the phone is certain superior to both emailing and texting, even it lacks in some areas when compared to speaking to a person face-to-face. Body language is a huge part of communication. When it comes to showing interest, flirting, giving affection, etc., the body language witnessed and expressed when talking to a person face-to-face is leaps and bounds more important than any communication which can be expressed via the computer or phone. Facial expressions can't be seen in any other form of communication. Laughter can't be seen. Eye-contact is absent. Yes, while emails and phone conversations can be very useful at times when communication with someone you care about, they're really nothing compared to face-to-face interaction with the person.

Maybe I'm old school, but I'd rather hear a person's voice and listen to them tell me a story than to read a very abbreviated, impersonal version of it via text. I'd rather see the look in a person's eyes when they're opening up to me than to read them tell me, "Im sad. Wish u were here." I'd rather hear a person laugh than to read "lol," and would rather see them smile and blush in front of me than to simply read about it on my phone. I want to feel the power and passion through their voice and their body language, and I can't feel that through a text message. Perhaps I'm not with the times, but I refuse to let today's trends deprive me from sharing special moments with the people I love, and to allow my thoughts and emotions to be abbreviated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"