Skip to main content

Reflection from a conversation I had over the weekend

As seems to be typical anymore, I had an interesting bar discussion over the weekend - this time, with a self-described conservative Republican. I say "self-described," because after talking to him, it was difficult for me to see him as a member of the modern-day Republican Party.

Here's a brief rundown of what this man believes:

1) Supports women's reproductive rights

2) Supports gays' rights

3) Supports taxing the rich a bit more

4) Supports conserving our environment

5) Is an NRA member, but supports what he calls "common sense gun-control laws"

6) Does not support the Citizens United ruling

7) Loathes the Tea Party

8) Doesn't believe Ronald Reagan would make it in today's Republican Party

9) Thinks lobbyists are the worst thing since the Antichrist

10) Voted for Bush (W.) twice, McCain, and Romney, in the elections ranging from 2000 to 2012

Reading the first nine points, most people would assume this man was either an Independent or Democrat when it comes to party affiliation, and either moderate or liberal in his ideology. However, then when reading point ten, many would probably have to double-check to make sure they weren't half-asleep or drunk. I know I was quite perplexed when talking to him, but then it hit me.

My mother was a fairly staunch Republican for many years. She briefly protested the party by voting for Jimmy Carter after the Nixon fiasco, but outside of that, she was pretty much a straight-ticket Republican voter. Between 2000 and 2004, however, something happened. As she later told me, "I didn't leave the Republican Party. The Republican Party left me." Ever since then, she's been increasingly liberal and it makes her cringe to think she ever voted for a Republican for president - especially George W. Bush in 2000.

An elderly ex-neighbor of mine spoke to me one time while I was walking my dog around the neighborhood the same thing - "I didn't leave the Republican Party. The Republican Party left me."

While these two individuals have made such a confession about the current state of the Republican Party and have changed their allegiances due to that, I wonder if the person I spoke to at the bar over the weekend and many others like him, while knowing deep down the Republican Party no longer represents them, they still haven't taken that next step by letting go of that allegiance and taking it elsewhere. Maybe it's partially due to having grown up in an extremely partisan (conservative) household, consistently hearing demeaning slogans and talking points at the expense of the Democratic Party, or maybe it's just become a habit which has been difficult to break. In any case, it's about time such individuals finally let go of the past, which is just that, and take the steps necessary to move forward in the present, so it allows them to continually progress in the future. As my mother and neighbor both told me over the past few years, "I didn't leave the Republican Party. The Republican Party left me." It's about time more people whom feel that way come forward, protest the party that left them with their votes going elsewhere on election day, force the GOP to reevaluate itself, and hopefully force it to make some necessary changes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"