Skip to main content

How do I reach those that have been brainwashed with hogwash?

I got into an interesting yet frustrating discussion the other night regarding the election. I was joined by two fellow "younger" progressives, as well as two more middle-aged conservatives. The two conservatives were "excited" about Donald Trump's election, while the three progressives often provided a WTF look in response to their seeming giddiness. Opinions were flung around faster than you can say "o-face," voices were raised, interruptions were frequent, and it came to the point where I felt the need to raise my hand so I could be called upon to speak. When I finally got my chance to talk, interruptions and denials were fast and frequent, before I finally spoke up about these rude breaks in my responses, and heard, "I'm/We're listening." This, of course, wasn't the case, and I feel is a key factor in our country's seemingly increasing problem of being (un)able to engage in civilized discourse with those on the other side of the political spectrum. Hearing the sound of a person's voice does not equate to actually listening to the words being spoken. Preparing one's rebuttal while the other is speaking prevents the possibility of fully listening to and comprehending their message. Also, I'm sorry, but simply saying one is listening does not constitute as actually listening.

Another critical factor in our seemingly increasing difficulty in civilly discussing issues with those whom differ politically from us is a growing inability of differentiating fact from opinion. Throughout the discussion, I heard numerous already-debunked conspiracy theories used to justify a person's opinion. When I fact-checked these theories and proved they were in fact bunk, I'd have another one thrown at me - that or the claim that fact-checkers are liberally-biased. I also heard common talking points - like that our military is weak under President Obama and we need to spend more money on defense. To this, I pointed out the fact that the United States spends more on its military than the next seven countries combined. How did the conservatives respond? "That's BS!"

According to SIPRI (Stockholm International Peace Research Institute), in 2014, the United States spent $610 billion on defense. The next seven countries: China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, France, United Kingdom, India, and Germany combined to spend $601 billion on defense.

When we began discussing Trump's Access Hollywood leak and his sexual assault allegers, the conservatives basically said that Trump's language was just "locker room talk" and that the timing of the allegers was mighty fishy. They also appeared to be ignorant on just how many allegers there have actually been.

Here's part of what Donald Trump said in the Access Hollywood leak:

"Yeah, that's her. With the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know, I'm automatically attracted to beautiful - I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything."

He added, "Grab 'em by the pussy. You can do anything."

Okay, so it can be debated that, with the second quote, Trump wasn't admitting that he had partaken in such an act before and was only speaking hypothetically, but that wasn't the case with his first quote. He admitted to sexually harassing/assaulting women by kissing them without any consent and insinuating he could get away with grabbing them by the "pussy" because of who he is. I'm not sure how my two conservative friends could have heard it any differently, but once again, hearing and listening are starkly different concepts.

As far as the women who alleged Donald Trump sexually assaulted them, they didn't come forward with their claims until after Trump denied he had ever followed through with what he said in the Access Hollywood video. Once he denied this during a nationally-televised debate, the women came forward, and here they are:

1) Ninni Laaksonen

2) Jessica Drake

3) Karena Virginia

4) Cathy Heller

5) Summer Zervos

6) Kristin Anderson

7) Natasha Stoynoff

8) Jessica Leeds

9) Rachel Crooks

10) Mindy McGillivray

11) Erin Burnett's friend

12) Cassandra Searles

13) Temple Taggart

14) Jill Harth

15) Ivana Trump

That isn't even going into claims Trump regularly walked in on Miss Universe and Miss Teen USA contestants while (un)dressing, that he raped a then 13-year-old, or told 10- and 14-year-old girls he'd start dating them in a few years.

So, as I was driving home that night, I got to thinking, "How to I talk to these people? Is it even possible?" Three days later and I'm still at a loss. I've tried the mainly-listening-minimally-talking route, but that just seems to validate their views, even when they're inaccurate. I've tried the match-them-tit-for-tat route, but that seems to do nothing but make matters worse, as, instead of just one angry person, two or more individuals become inflamed. I've gone the shut-up-and-fact-check route, but that doesn't seem to accomplish anything either. I've even gone the shrug-your-shoulders-and-ignore-it route, but once again, that seems to make speakers feel that their opinions are being justified. When I write satire, it tends to just play to the choir, as, while there may be a few conservatives who can get a few chuckles out of my work, a large majority of my readers are fellow progressives. So how do I reach such individuals? How do I try finding a way of connecting with someone who hears, but doesn't listen; who subscribes to debunked conspiracy theories over fact-checks; and seems to allow their opinions to dictate facts instead of allowing facts to dictate their opinions? While it's perfectly fine for one to form an opinion on a subject, why do so many attempt to justify said opinions with false information? At the end of the day, I just have to wonder if even attempting to hold such discussions is pointless because, regardless of what the reality is regarding a particular topic, many simply believe in the reality they've formed in their own minds and will reject any ideas which prove contrary to them. I just wish more people would better attempt to listen, wait, and learn rather than hear, interrupt, and be heard.

http://crfb.org/blogs/us-spends-more-its-military-next-10-countries-combined

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/08/us/donald-trump-tape-transcript.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/10/12/trump_sexual_assault_allegations_the_floodgates_are_open.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"