Skip to main content

The Future Void of the Present

The past, present, and future are all connected - at least the past and present, for the future is never a guarantee. Some people focus so much on past mistakes and incidents that they're unable to enjoy the present, which limits them in their future. Others are so wrapped up in the present, it becomes increasingly difficult to plan for the future. Lastly, others spend so much time preparing for their future, they're unable to enjoy the present, which makes it more difficult to enjoy certain aspects of their future. Trying to balance all three time periods can be extraordinarily difficult, but I think it's fairly critical to at least be cognizant of this juggling act and attempt to find balance for a happier life.

When I was growing up, it was often times very difficult for me to focus on and enjoy the present. I was often times hobbled by some unfortunate childhood incidents, as well as some serious health problems. This led me to focus on the past, which depressed me in the present. When I moved past this stage, I tended to ignore the past and present to simply focus on my future with my studies. Today, I'm finally comfortable (or accepting) of my past and attempt to think about my future at times, but am finally trying to live in and enjoy the present. Some may believe I don't think about my future enough, but without the present, there is no future. So I've finally stopped overwhelming my mind with all the what ifs pertaining to the unknowable future. I'd like to believe that with hard work and effort in the present, the future will look brighter - much brighter than if I focused so much on my future, it overwhelmed me to the point of not being able to be as productive in the present..

I think this mentality can be extremely beneficial in many areas of life. The focus shouldn't be on what one's goal destination is; it should be on how to get there. It doesn't do one much good to simply say, "I want to be a millionaire" without a plan of some kind on how to achieve that. When in a relationship, the focus shouldn't be on getting married within a certain time-frame; it should be on how to reach a point when marriage becomes a realistic possibility. When married, the focus shouldn't be on just remaining with the person 50 years down the road; it should be on how to maintain a healthy and happy relationship with the person for the next 50 years. Without a plan and a grand effort to get there, the wannabe millionaire will forever be just that. Without hard work and effort, the wannabe marriage will crumble before the "I dos" can be shared. Without continued hard work, a marriage will either completely fall apart or be miserable well before 50 years have gone by.

This isn't to say it's not important to think about one's future. It most certainly is. However, just like with wrapping oneself up in their past to the point where they can't enjoy their present or future, the same is true with a person wrapping themselves up in their future. Often times, it's best to just look at the past as a series of building blocks to help us reach the present, and seeing the present as a gift to be thoroughly cherished and enjoyed. A smile is never guaranteed for tomorrow, so why not enjoy life and smile today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"