Skip to main content

Local hospital reviews

As mentioned in recent posts, I've unfortunately had to battle some health issues in recent weeks, which landed me in a pair of hospitals on four separate occasions. For those who reside in the area, I thought I'd provide brief reviews of the two hospitals.

Grady Memorial Hospital
561 W. Central Ave.
Delaware, OH 43015
(740) 615-1000
https://www.ohiohealth.com/grady/

Experience Summary: This is the hospital closest to me, so from a convenience standpoint, this is my best option in case of a medical emergency. I was rushed there via an ambulance on December 26th and had to be driven there on January 10th and 12th. When I went here in 2011 for a gallbladder surgery, my experience was mostly positive. However, the three times I've needed help at this facility in the past few weeks has left a bad taste in my mouth. As I was rushed here on the 26th, I was enduring a serious panic attack - the first of my life. My pulse was between 150 and 155, my blood pressure was elevated, my arms and legs and face were tingly to the point of losing feeling, and I seriously didn't believe I was going to make it. When I finally made it to the hospital, I was breathing heavier than I ever had before, had to answer a multitude of questions as I felt like I was about to pass out (or die), was finally injected with some water and a relaxant, which gradually decreased my heart-rate, blood pressure, and anxiety. What did the doctor conclude? I had simply overdone it over the holidays, when it comes to travel, eating, drinking, and stress. So, I was let go approximately 3 hours later and without any prescription. I was hardly able to sleep the next 2-3 nights. When I went back on January 10th and 12th, my blood pressure had increased to unprecedented levels (for me), panic attacks were becoming far more frequent, and my heart was palpitating on an almost nonstop basis. The doctor then prescribed me a low dosage of a blood pressure medication on my 2nd trip and a heavier dose on my third trip there. All three times I was there, it felt as though the doctors didn't take me seriously, wanted to get rid of me as soon as they could, made me feel as though they forgot about me on occasion, and seemed to insinuate I was 100% at fault for whatever was happening to me. Not only that, but they asked some rather disturbingly personal questions when I was there, making me feel as though they were judging me. When I attempted to provide a thorough, detailed answer to these very questions, they'd simply come back with a yes-no question, like there was no room for gray, only for black and white. Not only that, but after prescribing me the heavier dosage of blood pressure medication, the doctor referred me to a cardiologist. When I called this cardiologist, I was notified they didn't accept my insurance. This only added to the lazy impression I got from the employees at this facility.

Pros: Convenience (for me), lack of a wait

Cons: Just about everything else

Overall Grade: D - Unless you live next door and it's a medical emergency, I'd recommend going elsewhere.


Ohio State Medical Center
300 W. 10th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
(614) 366-7744
http://wexnermedical.osu.edu/patient-care/locations-and-parking/300-west-10th-avenue

Experience Summary: This facility was a 180 from Grady Memorial Hospital. While it was a longer drive, I was checked in right away, was made to feel important, not ignored, and taken seriously. I underwent a multitude of tests, was informed about them all, felt as though I was listened to, and actually received some help in finding a new doctor. An RN from OSU Med Center called me the following morning asking if I'd like him to try and move up an appointment I had with a doctor. After I said yes, he called a few minutes later and let me know he was able to move up the appointment approximately two months. The nurses/doctors took copious notes as I was speaking, were patient with me when we discussed matters, and when asking questions, didn't come across as too personal or judgmental; they came across as professional. Also, unlike at Grady, which made me feel as if they wanted to get rid of me as soon as possible, OSU acted as though they wanted to hang on to me for as long as it took until all their questions (and mine) were answered. Like I said, a 180 from Grady.

Pros: Professional, thorough, security, patient

Cons: Drive and wait time

Grade: B+ - The drive wasn't short and wait time could have been condensed quite substantially, but outside of that, I'd definitely recommend this facility generally speaking, and definitely more so than Grady.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"