Skip to main content

When to give unwanted advice to a complete stranger...

As long-time readers know, for whatever reason, strange occurrences seem to follow me wherever I go, especially when I venture to a bar. The same was true last night. Not 30 minutes after I sat down, I was asked by a semi-acquaintance, "Why do so many people think you're gay?"

To this, I calmly relayed all the theories I've heard from others regarding the matter: "Because you're always respectful toward women," "You've turned many women's propositions down," "You're 36, not married, and without any kids," "No guy so nice, funny, smart, and cute could be single and straight," "You're a liberal who likes poetry and foreign films," etc.

She then responded, "No offense, but if you were gay, I'd think you'd have better fashion sense. I even asked someone a while ago if they thought you'd be at all bothered if I took you jeans shopping."

I provided a perplexed look in return, curiously asking, "What's wrong with my jeans?"

She then fired back, "They're dad jeans. Wardrobe can do a lot for a person. If you're going to start dating again, you're going to need some night-jeans."

While I didn't get angry at this random bit of advice from someone I hardly knew, I also kept asking myself, "Why in the world did she feel the need to say that? Was it the alcohol talking? Was it insecurity? Projection? Do a lot of people feel the way she feels regarding the matter?" She may have only been trying to help, but I personally feel it's quite rude and inconsiderate to make such inquiries toward a person one doesn't know very well. If another asks for advice, it's perfectly acceptable to provide it, especially if you know the person fairly well. However, when advice isn't asked for, especially from a stranger, I'd like to believe it's common sense (for most) to not provide said advice. We all have strengths and weaknesses. Nobody is perfect. The most important thing is for a person to accept himself/herself, flaws and all, yet to possess full awareness of their upsides and downsides so they can continue to try and improve themselves. If another feels a need to point out their alleged shortcomings, chances are they need to look at themselves in the mirror and see what it is about themselves they can't seem to accept, which prompts them to pass judgment on others. Everyone's different, and that's a good thing. We should spend more time embracing one another's differences and learning from them as opposed to seeing these differences as wrong or inferior. An open mind, open heart, open ears, and a closed mouth can go a long way...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"