Skip to main content

I've learned to see the light of the coexistence of free will and predestination... okay, so I kid...

For whatever reason, I looked up the concept of the coexistence of free will and predestination. This concept has always puzzled me. I read through many people's comments on how the two entities can be compatible with one another. Some went as far to say, "It's so simple. I don't understand how anyone could not understand it" or "It crazy that so many intelligent scientific-types don't understand this. You're making it more difficult than it needs to be."

Are we? A solid chunk of the comments laid claim that God knows what we will choose to do, meaning he doesn't make the choices for us and this is how the two entities can coexist. Others suggested that our free will involves the choices we make to reach the final destination, but that destination has already been predetermined.

I think many of these individuals are getting the concepts of omniscience and predeterminism mixed. It is said that God is omniscient or all-knowing. This would not mean that our paths are predetermined. God could potentially be psychic and know of our futures, but isn't the one deciding them for us. However, if our futures have been predetermined by God, how can one declare that it was our free will which paved the way for us to this destination? My father could be psychic and he knows I will attend Harvard one day, but never utters a word about it and I decide to attend the University for myself. If he has predetermined, through his superior powers, that I attend Harvard, that choice wouldn't have been mine.

If a person wants to believe God is omniscient while also believe mankind possesses free will, I'm fine with that. If they want to solely believe in free will or predestination, again, I'm fine with that. However, when it comes to the coexistence of free well and predestination, that makes absolutely no sense to me. I found it rather humorous that so many commentators seemed to believe that this was such a simple concept to grasp, yet were contradicting themselves while explaining, that or misusing terms. To me, it's the direct opposite. If my destination was determined by another, how did I choose my destination? It's impossible. Scientists are perplexed by this notion for good reason - it makes absolutely no sense on any level, especially from a logical one.

Also, if one believes that mankind freely makes choices leading up to their final destination, but with that destination having already been determined, again, how is that possible? Would this not make life rather meaningless? Regardless of the actions I take while living, it is of no matter, since my fate has already been decided by another? If I somehow knew that a relationship wasn't going to pan out through some psychic vision, why would I even bother to try making the relationship work? What would be the point?

Well, I'm ill, so I think I better take a nap, then awake, perhaps have some soup and do whatever else I want to do, but it doesn't really matter what I decide. The end has already been decided for me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"