Skip to main content

Giving relationship advice to a drunk woman...

Wow, so last night was lovely. An old buddy of mine wanted me to meet up with him at a pub, so I said sure. I didn't plan on drinking or anything, but hadn't seen him in a while and it was his birthday not long ago, so I kind of wanted to go, catch up and buy him a drink for his birthday. Little did I realize he'd be accompanied by a friend who would be wasted and in the middle of breaking up with a guy via text.

I guess this lady had been drinking since about noon and it was 8:15 when I arrived. To say she was messed up would be like saying Rush Limbaugh is large. She had just broken up with her boyfriend (of 6 weeks) via text. He would respond. She'd read these texts aloud and ask three guys in the area what she should say next. The pitch in her voice made me envision someone placing their nails against a chalkboard. She just kept repeatedly asking, "What do I say?" "What do I say?" "What do I say?" She'd ask our mutual friend and he'd give one suggestion. She'd then again say, "What do I say?" I'd make another suggestion. She'd once again utter the words, "What do I say?" Yet another guy would offer his insight. Her reaction? "What do I say?"

She had deleted his number, so she then texted and asked him what his number was and as far as I know, he didn't respond. He had texted her, though, so every time I've received a text from someone - their number has been included in the text. She was so hammered, though, I doubt she'd realize that.

She then went back and forth on what to do. Initially, she sounded certain she wanted to break up with him, but later said she thinks she wanted to get back together with him and asked, "What do I say?"

I finally came forward and said, "It sounds like you're not sure what you want to do right now, so I'd just leave the phone alone until you've thought things over and are certain you know what you want to do. Especially since you've been drinking, you're more apt to saying something you'll later regret, so I'd just leave it alone for a while, get a good night's sleep and see how you feel tomorrow. She then went get something to eat and stumbled over a chair in the process.

Hopefully, eating did her some good and she's able to make up her mind on matters today. It would have been lovely if someone had recorded her during that time so she could see and hear herself. Just thinking about it makes me want to grab for some Advil. Speaking of which...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"