Skip to main content

Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan tax return ordeal

Republican presidential nominee, Mitt Romney, really is backing himself into a corner with this tax return issue. Does he really think the Democratic Party will start playing nice if he doesn't release more than two years of his tax information? Nice, in an election year? Yeah, best of luck with that one, Mittens.

Since the onset of the Democratic attacks on Romney not releasing his taxes, the Republican nominee has seen his approval ratings either standing still or dropping and his disapproval ratings rising. The wise thing for him to do would be to release the information now while there's still 3 months to explain the situation and potentially make up with the American people. The more he holds this information off, the more people will begin to suspect there's something he's hiding which he'd rather the American public not see.

So what does he do? It's being reported that when vetting his potential running mates, he made it mandatory that the candidates release "several" years of their tax returns. That's right - Mitt - the man who wants us to trust him atop the federal government but won't release his own tax returns, required his possible running mates to provide him with that information.

Then, after Romney selected Paul Ryan to be his running mate, did a television interview with him, where Ryan said he too would release only two years of his tax returns. While I think this would have been a wise move had the information not be leaked to the public of Romney requiring "several" years of tax returns by all his vice presidential candidates, I now think it looks pretty foolish.

I'm really trying to understand the logic behind all this. Here we have a man, whose father (George Romney) voluntarily released 12 years of his tax returns when running for Governor of Michigan, who will only release two years of his tax returns (saying if he released more, it could be politically damaging to him) - requires that his possible running mates provide him "several" years worth of tax returns (just like his father) and when he chooses one, tells him to follow his lead and only release a couple years worth of his tax returns. In other words - Mr. Romney believes he has the right to know everything, that we don't have the right to know what he knows and for whatever reason, we should trust him to be the leader of this country.

Here's how I see a conversation between a reporter and Romney about this issue going:

Reporter Joseph Areyoufrickinkiddingme: "So why is it you won't release 12 years of tax returns like your father did?"

Romney: "Because it'd be politically damaging to me."

Areyoufrickinkiddingme: "Do you realize what you just said? Now the public will want to know this information even more. How would it be politically damaging?"

Romney: "I can't say. I'll just say if I knew beforehand that I'd have to release my tax returns, I never would have ran for president."

Areyoufrickinkiddingme: "Wow. Alright, well, it has been reported that you required all your potential running mates to release 'several' years worth of their tax returns. Is this true?"

Romney: "Yes. Yes it is."

Areyoufrickinkiddingme: "So, they have to send 'several' years worth of such information to you, but you won't send such information to us?"

Romney: "No."

Areyoufrickinkiddingme: "Why?"

Romney: "Like I said - it very well could ruin my election chances."

Areyoufrickinkiddingme: "Alright. So now that you've chosen Paul Ryan as your VP candidate and you've seen 'several' years worth of his tax returns, how many years worth will he release unto the public?"

Romney: "Two."

Areyoufrickinkiddingme: "Just two? Why is that?"

Romney: "Because I don't want him to show me up any. He may be younger than me, but I'm the one running for president and want to be the better-looking of the two."

Areyoufrickinkiddingme: "You do realize you're starting to sound like a greedy, sleezy, idiot, right?"

Romney: "Yeah, that's what my wife always calls me. Thank you, by the way."

Areyoufrickinkiddingme: "That wasn't a compliment. I guess I made my point with that then, didn't I?"

Romney: "Look - I'll tell you what. I'll show people my taxes when Obama shows people his birth certificate."

Areyoufrickinkiddingme: "He already did that. So, how about sharing your tax returns now?"

Romney: "No."

Areyoufrickinkiddingme: "But you just said..."

Romney: "No, I didn't."

Areyoufrickinkiddingme: "No, you didn't what? You'll have to let me finish. I was going to say, you had just told me that once the president released his birth certificate, which he has done, you'd release your tax return information. So, what do you have to say for yourself?"

Romney: "That's Obamaloney right there!"

Areyoufrickinkiddingme: ::facepalm::

http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/romney-campaign-examined-tax-returns-of-potential

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"