Skip to main content

A phrase that rubs me the wrong way sometimes - "Live a little"

I hadn't been feeling well all week, but began recovering yesterday, fortunately. After debating whether or not to see a band perform with my parents, I opted to go - to get out of the house and see a fun band perform that I had only seen once previously.

Things were going pretty well all night. The band was highly entertaining. The folks and I people-watched, especially the drunkards dancing, and as always, that was both an amusing and facepalm-inducing experience.

For the band's last song, they played the Beastie Boys' classic, "You Gotta Fight For Your Right to Party!" Many women went up to the dance-floor to, well, dance. Most of the guys stood back and just observed. Toward the end of the song, some 45ish-year old woman then approached me and asked me to dance. First off, I'm not much of a dancer. Secondly, I still wasn't 100% healthy, so I felt like dancing like a sloth feels like sprinting. Thirdly, I have a girlfriend, so while it's not against any law, I don't feel particularly right about dancing with women under 50. Fourthly, I was with my parents, so I was kind of there to spend time with them. So, I smiled and politely declined her offer once, and then twice, and then she kind of grabbed my left arm and forced me to go up with her. Fortunately, the song really isn't as much a "dancing" song as it's a jump-and-act-stupid song, and I made sure to carry my drink with me just in case she had any crazy idea of slow dancing to a Beastie Boys tune.

After the song was over and my awkward moment finally ceased, the lady said to me, "You gotta live a little. Come on - live a little." Yeah, she may have been hammered, but I really didn't care for that comment. But, as I typically do, I just laughed, shrugged my shoulders, and walked back over to my folks to enlighten them on the series of events that just unfolded.

The quote reminded me of an encounter I had with an old friend of mine probably close to 10 years ago. This guy and I had been great friends our senior year of high school and our first year or two of college. But one day, he just seemingly disappeared. He stopped answering my calls. I had thought the guy may have gotten into some kind of trouble, but after a while, finally gave up in trying to find out what the deal was. We then bumped into one another at a gas station a couple years later and he followed me back to my place of residence, where he wound up staying all night, getting drunk and giving me lectures.

After he did a couple shots, he finally said to me, "Do you want to know why I stopped answering your calls and stopped hanging out with you?"

Right then, a knot formed at the pit of my stomach and I was ambivalent on how to answer the question. I wound up saying yes, and he gave me a very lengthy lecture on how I wasn't living life and he wanted to live life. Oddly enough, I was on the verge of earning two Associate's degrees and heading to a 4-year university for my Bachelor's, while he had been traveling the country, doing drugs, and getting started back up with school again - just as he had been doing 2-3 years earlier.

I guess it just bothers me to hear others tell me, "Live a little," because they're insinuating, based on what little they know, that I don't "live life," even though if one takes that literally, everyone alive would technically be living life. If we take the phrase figuratively, however, it becomes quite subjective. Different people live life in different ways. I don't see how this makes it so one person can be seen as living life and another can not be seen in such a manner. My old friend lived life by partying all the time, doing drugs, getting himself into trouble, and traveling. That's fine, but that's not how I wanted to live my life. I was focused on school first and foremost, would party some weekends, play video games with friends, travel some, etc. I don't think anyone is justified in claiming that a person isn't "living life" if that person is simply doing what he or she enjoys doing. If a woman reads a book while soaking in hot bath water on a Saturday night, does this mean she's not "living life?" If a man plays a computer game with several friends via the Internet on a Friday night, does this mean he's not "living life?" Every single person experiences life a little bit differently than one another. I think, instead of being critical about others' hobbies and interests, we should simply observe and learn. For while a particular hobby or interest may be of little intrigue to us at first, if we keep an open-mind about it, we may surprise ourselves with the end result.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"