Skip to main content

As my girlfriend always jokingly tells me, "Facts are condescending..."

I haven't had very many interesting back-and-forths on Twitter yet. For one, I've only been a member for approximately 3 weeks or so. Secondly, I'm still learning how to use the darn thing. Finally, my main intent with the site is to garner more recognition for my written work, so I've interacted mainly with like-minded people. Yes, it's boring sometimes, I admit, but I have a much better chance of selling my books to liberals, moderates, and sarcastic individuals than to conservatives or people whom don't much care for sarcasm. Today, though, I discovered that an individual with whom I disagree more than drunk drivers and cops replied to a tweet of mine and we've gone on to have a somewhat interesting and sad back-and-forth. Here's how it's gone to this point:

Me: "Why are so many conservatives turned off about conserving the environment?"

Him: "'Conservative' is incorrect. You can say 'right' or 'republicans.' I'm conservative and liberal. I care for the environment."

Me: "I said 'so many,' which leaves room for exceptions. A study was even conducted to show the accuracy of my claim. Try again."

Me: "http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2013/04/130430-light-bulb-labeling/"

Him: "the world is bigger than 'right vs. left' politics that the media and corporations shove at people...divide and conquer."

With my initial tweet, I was attempting to show the irony involved in many conservatives' thinking regarding the environment.

Conservative is defined as "disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change."

Conserve is defined as "to prevent injury, decay, waste, or loss of" and "to use or manage (natural resources) wisely; preserve; save."

As the study I shared with this responder showcased, self-identified conservatives, when shown a pro-environment label on light bulbs, were less likely to purchase them than if those same light bulbs didn't have a label. In other words, because these individuals saw these products as being pro-green and "liberal"-sounding, their taking a stand against "liberalism" was of greater importance than protecting the environment. 

Also, a recent poll was released surrounding global warming. In this poll, it showed that 52% of people whom labeled themselves as "somewhat conservative" believe global warming to be a hoax, while 71% of people whom labeled themselves as "very conservative" believe it's a hoax. In contrast, only 12% and 14%, respectively, of "somewhat liberal" and "very liberal" individuals believe that global warming is a hoax. In other words, on average, the more conservative a person is, the more likely he or she is to believe that global warming is a hoax and the more likely he or she is going to believe that nothing needs to be done about it.

Based on this study, poll, and others which show similar results, I stand by my initial tweet.

Oddly enough, the responder "favorited" this tweet. I'm not sure why exactly, given the condescending tone of his reply, but I won't try to figure out the reason for that.

Perhaps he misread my tweet, but his response didn't make a lot of sense to me.

"'Conservative' is incorrect. You can say 'right' or 'republicans.' I'm conservative and liberal. I care for the environment."

If I had said, "Why is it that all conservatives don't believe in conserving the environment?," he would have been right in saying this, as my claim would have been highly inaccurate. However, I believe in absolutes about as much as an atheist believes in Jesus rising from the dead. So, whether or not the responder misread my tweet, he was inaccurate with his comment. Also, I can say "right" or "Republicans," but not "conservatives"? Aren't the three terms fairly synonymous with one another? If I say right-wing, I'm referring to Republicans, and especially in the modern day, most Republicans are quite conservative. Certainly there are exceptions, but finding a moderate Republican anymore is about as rare as finding a Dodo bird.

I then elaborated on matters and displayed a link to the study to which I was referring earlier, which proved my point. 

He then said, "the world is bigger than 'right vs. left' politics that the media and corporations shove at people...divide and conquer."

But I thought I would have been accurate had I said "right" (or Republican - just not conservative)... Also, it's quite humorous he said this, since he's actually a part of the media and consistently demonizes the left (or Democrats or liberals) - often times with misleading statements and conspiracy theories - to divide people. So, I suppose it's better to spread false information about liberals, so long as it makes the people less likely to vote for such candidates in the next election cycle than it is to make an ironic statement about a party (or ideology) to stimulate a chuckle, which has the backing of studies and polls alike. Yeah, that makes sense...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conservative?s=t

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conserve?s=t

http://www.weather.com/news/science/environment/global-warming-poll-believe-hoax-20130403

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"