Skip to main content

An outpouring of "positive" Facebook posts, but are they actually as positive as they first appear?

Did I miss something here? Is today National Positivity Day or something? Since late this morning, a Facebook friend of mine has posted the three following statuses:

"Energy flows where attention goes!! Stop wasting all your energy on how much hate there is in the world and let's focus on the positive!"

"What you focus on is your reality. If you focus on all the hate or problems in the world, then hate and problems become your world! Try focusing on positive things, like love and respect! It's the law of attraction! You attract more of what you focus your attention on!"

"I will always teach my babies to find the good in every person and situation!"

Hmm... In knowing this person's history of Facebook statuses, I must say something smells fishy here, and no, I'm not cooking anything right now.

Now, I have absolutely no problem with someone trying to change their line of perception and for the better. However, when such sentiments are stated in rapid succession like that, it can get to be a bit too much, and appears to me at least, as a person overcompensating for something.

If someone were to ask me, "Craig, would you rather be around someone who was always cheerful and positive or someone who was always depressed and negative," I'd surely choose the former over the latter. However, let's be realistic for a moment here - who in their right mind is always positive or always negative? It is definitely a typically more enjoyable experience to be around a person who is generally perky than one who is full of doom and gloom. However, I also like to surround myself with realists to keep myself grounded some.

Going back to this person's quotes specifically, while I think her heart is in the right place, her thinking is not. First off, she appears to love absolutes like I love free trips to Hawaii. Yes, I love absolutes like I love getting sprayed in the face by a skunk just before meeting a girlfriend's parents.

"I will always teach my babies to find the good in every person and situation!"

What, like the Holocaust? Rape? Hate crimes? Abuse? Terrorism? Dick Cheney? Let's be realistic here for a moment...


"Energy flows where attention goes!! Stop wasting all your energy on how much hate there is in the world and let's focus on the positive!"

and

"What you focus on is your reality. If you focus on all the hate or problems in the world, then hate and problems become your world! Try focusing on positive things, like love and respect! It's the law of attraction! You attract more of what you focus your attention on!"

If we don't focus on the negative, how can we then attempt to make that negative a positive? If an uncle of ours is addicted to Meth, but is a nice guy, are we to just focus on the fact he's a nice guy and ignore his awful Meth habit? Wouldn't it be potentially more positive long-term if we focused on the negative that is his drug addiction, got him help, and attempted to better the lives of him and those around him? It might be easier to focus on a positive trait of a person living in poverty, yet that doesn't offset the fact that poverty exists, and to ignore these negatives like poverty is to ignore reality. To me, ignoring reality isn't a positive; it's denial. Denying negatives in this world just to make ourselves feel better, while those less fortunate than us suffer, isn't positive in my mind. It's negative. Positive would be helping those people in need. Negative would be ignoring them altogether.

Comments

  1. Loved the piece. I tend to lean negative on occasion. When a friend takes exception to a negative (realistic) comment I've made, I wonder how soft and snuggly their little world feels. Playing devil's advocate is hard work, but somebody's got to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, amen. It's also amazing how much better prepared one is for a particular task if he/she has contemplated about all the potential positives and negatives. If a person just thinks they're going to accomplish this task without any problems whatsoever, they'll likely receive a rude wake-up call at some point and be more apt to panic, lose sight of the task at hand, and not accomplish it. If they ponder about both sides of the equation, however, if/when they're greeted with a negative, they'll be less prone to panicking, will therefore be more prone to keeping their cool if that does occur, and with that, be able to accomplish the task.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"