Skip to main content

"She's a good Christian girl..."

So I went out last week to celebrate a friend of mine's birthday. During the evening, another friend of mine's mother, whom appeared to be a bit inebriated, began talking to me. She and I had met a couple of times before and I think it's safe to say she's taken a liking to me. This was especially apparent last week when she attempted to set me up with pretty much every single woman in her family. It even reached the point where she talked about setting me up with her other son's ex-wife and a 23-year-old niece that's in college. It was an awkward yet flattering moment to be certain. Knowing how intoxicated she was and how embarrassed her son was, I just attempted to go with the flow, let her know that her words were extremely flattering, but that I wasn't interested. One remark she made about her niece stood out to me and almost made me chuckle as a result. Fortunately, I was able to withhold from doing that, as I limited my laughter to the internal kind. Yes, I was laughing inside.

Her remark(s) went like this:

"She's in college. She's really pretty, sweet, and is a good Christian girl. She doesn't drink, doesn't smoke or do drugs, is Christian and a good Christian girl..."

I wanted to be a smart aleck and say something like, "Wait, so she's both a Christian and a good Christian girl? That kind of threw me off there," but I refrained from doing so, as it seemed like most of what I said she didn't hear anyway. But that description cracked me up somewhat because I really see no need for it. Perhaps it mainly has to do with me not being religious, but when trying to set me up with somebody, I don't really need to be told that they believe in an invisible yet omnipotent being in order to convince me they're a decent person. Mention that they're kind, funny, intelligent, laid back, easy to talk to, generous, good with kids and pets, active, open-minded, and include a picture. Telling me they're a good "Christian" girl isn't really going to do anything for me. Humorously enough, I only hear this descriptor used when it comes to the Christian religion in this country. When trying to impress me about someone else, a person has never told me the following:

- "Oh, she's such a good agnostic girl!"

- "She's such a sweet atheist girl!"

- "She has to be the kindest Satanic girl in the world!"

- "If you're looking for a Muslim sweetheart, look no further than her!"

- "This kind-hearted humanist girl would be so good for you!"

Why's it always a "good Christian"? When making such descriptions, I'm sure these people say such things because they themselves are Christians and associate the word "Christian" with being good, moral people. This woman probably described her niece in this manner to try and illustrate to me that she doesn't do drugs, doesn't sleep around, and is a "moral" person. However, I know many people who label themselves as Christian yet tend to act otherwise. Also, how can "Christian" truly be defined anymore? I know many self-described Christians whom basically believe that it's ethical to take care of the rich at the expense of the poor. While I may not describe myself as a Christian, I believe the direct opposite and ironically enough, believe my beliefs on the matter are more in line with Christ's teachings than the self-described Christians'. So I know what this woman was trying to say to me when describing her niece as a "good Christian" girl, however, neither she nor I truly know what that actually means.

So, to me, when I heard this woman say, "She's such a good Christian girl," what I actually heard was this: "She's such a sweet girl that believes an invisible man created the world, can see everything, knows everything, and will provide her eternal life."

It was at that point I just wanted to respond with, "Yeah, you really could have stopped at 'good.'"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"