Skip to main content

Voting is like hiring for business

I see voting for the leaders of our country like hiring employees for a company. If we're trying to build a successful company, we're going to want the best, most talented, most qualified people at their respective positions, to improve the company's chances of improving, prospering, and lasting. This is a major reason why I tend to vote Democrat in elections. While their ideas might not always work, I at least hear ideas from Democratic candidates on how to improve education in this country, the environment, and the economy. They also tend to showcase a desire of granting all citizens an equal opportunity under the law - whether they be male, female, gay, straight, black, white, Christian, or Muslim. I just don't hear these ideas or this level of tolerance from most Republican candidates. What I hear is religious, "moral," and anti-government talk. So, to me, the choices come election day are often times simple. I can either go with a candidate who is bright, talented, has ideas, and at least wants to help move the country forward, or I can go with a person who preaches sermons, is void of ideas, and has no interest in trying to improve citizens' quality of life. When deciding who to vote for on election day, the decision-process typically reminds me of this following scenario:

Setting: Job interview to manage the Chicago Cubs

Question: "Why do you feel you'd be the best choice for this job?"

Al Score: "I've been a Major League coach for three different teams, all of whom weren't very good when I was hired, and were all playoff-bound clubs by the time I left. I've won wherever I've gone, and don't plan on stopping that trend anytime soon. There's only one thing I want to do in Chicago, and that's win a World Series. My resumé would say that I can help lead this team there and if given the chance, I'm certain I will lead the team to a championship! I believe in pitching, defense, aggressive base-running, and manufacturing runs - the key recipe to building a team ready to not only make the playoffs, but win the whole thing!"

Jorge Bush: "I may never have coached baseball before. I didn't even really ever play baseball. Well, I take that back - I played teeball once. I don't know how to recognize talent. I can see that guys are bigger or smaller than one another, I guess, so that has to be good for something, right? Anyway, to answer your question, I have only one word to prove to you I'm the best choice for this job - Jesus. I believe in him, pray to him, and know he will guide this team to victory. We may not practice real hard, be in the best of shape, or have any real strategies, but if we have Jesus on our side, anything is possible."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"