Skip to main content

Week 8 NFL predictions

Thursday
Game: Carolina at Tampa Bay

Pick: Carolina - With Carolina's improved play on offense and their stout defense, I like for them to win by a couple of scores against the banged up and winless, yet pesky Bucs.

Result: Carolina 31 Tampa Bay 13

Record: 1-0


Sunday
Game: Dallas at Detroit

Pick: Dallas - With Detroit's offensive line banged up and Reggie Bush not practicing right now, I'm going to give the slight edge to the healthier Cowboys.

Result: Detroit 31 Dallas 30

Record: 1-1


Game: Cleveland at Kansas City

Pick: Kansas City - No matter how ugly it may be, the Chiefs are just finding ways to win, and at Arrowhead against the now Brandon Weeden-led Browns, I like for that trend to continue. I like the Chiefs by a pair of scores.

Result: Kansas City 23 Cleveland 17

Record: 2-1


Game: Miami at New England

Pick: New England - I can't figure out either team right now. In three weeks, the Patriots went from scoring a measly 6 points in a loss to Cincinnati to beating the then unbeaten New Orleans Saints to losing to the young and mediocre New York Jets in overtime. On the other side of the equation are the Miami Dolphins, whom started the year 3-0 and are now 3-3. With the game at home and with a healthy Rob Gronkowski, I like the Patriots by a couple of scores.

Result: New England 27 Miami 17

Record: 3-1


Game: Buffalo at New Orleans

Pick: New Orleans - Following a needed bye week following their heartbreaking loss to the Patriots, I like for the Saints to rebound at home against the youthful and explosive Buffalo Bills. The Saints should win by two touchdowns.

Result: New Orleans 35 Buffalo 17

Record: 4-1


Game: NY Giants at Philadelphia

Pick: Philadelphia - It appears as if starting quarterback Michael Vick is close to 100%, so I'm going to give the edge to the Eagles at home against the woeful, but improving Giants. If Philly wins this game, it will snap a dreadful 9-game losing streak at home.

Result: NY Giants 15 Philadelphia 7

Record: 4-2


Game: San Francisco at Jacksonville

Pick: San Francisco - As I've said previously, until the Jaguars prove to me they can actually win a game, don't count on me picking them. The 49ers, meanwhile, after starting a disappointing 2-2, are 5-2 and beginning to look like the Super Bowl team they were a year ago. I like the Niners by at least three scores.

Result: San Francisco 42 Jacksonville 10

Record: 5-2


Game: NY Jets at Cincinnati

Pick: Cincinnati - The Jets are a pain in the backside on defense, but have been incredibly inconsistent on offense. It's been one week up and the next down for rookie quarterback Geno Smith. Considering he played well against the Patriots this past week, expect him to look more like a rookie on the road against a tough defense in Cincinnati. The Bengals should be able to score enough points on offense to come away with the victory. I like the Bengals by a touchdown.

Result: Cincinnati 49 NY Jets 9

Record: 6-2


Game: Pittsburgh at Oakland

Pick: Pittsburgh - This could be reminiscent of the Pittsburgh/Baltimore game from this past weekend. Both teams feature solid defenses and mediocre offenses. With the veteran leadership of Ben Roethlisberger, though, I look for the Steelers to continue their current winning streak to three games with a one-score win on the road against the Raiders.

Result: Oakland 21 Pittsburgh 18

Record: 6-3


Game: Washington at Denver

Pick: Denver - This was actually a tougher game for me to pick than I would have anticipated a week ago. Washington put up 45 points in their win against Chicago this past Sunday and Robert Griffin III is finally starting to resemble the RGIII from a year ago. Denver is coming off their first loss of the season - a disappointing 39-33 setback at the hands of the Indianapolis Colts. With the game at home and RGIII not used to the altitude, I look for the Broncos to have the upper hand by game's end. I like the Broncos by 10 points in a shootout.

Result: Denver 45 Washington 21

Record: 7-3


Game: Atlanta at Arizona

Pick: Atlanta - Here's a pick which makes me nervous. Arizona is by no means a great team, in large part due to their running game and quarterback play. However, so long as Carson Palmer cools it on the interceptions, the Cardinals' defense can keep them in most games, and with the game at home, I could see them upsetting the Falcons here. However, for as much as it has hurt me this season thus far, I still think the Falcons have a playoff-caliber team, and although I expect the game to be tight, I like for Matt Ryan to lead his team to a win in the end. I like the Falcons by one score.

Result: Arizona 27 Atlanta 13

Record: 7-4


Game: Green Bay at Minnesota

Pick: Green Bay - I feel sorry for Aaron Rodgers. The guy's receiving corps is more beat-up than Oregon's opponents most weeks. Even with these injuries, however, Rodgers has played Pro Bowl-caliber football, and with the Packers' improved defense and running game, I like for them to upend the identity-less Vikings. I like the Packers in this one by a couple of touchdowns.

Result: Green Bay 44 Minnesota 31

Record: 8-4


Monday
Game: Seattle at St. Louis

Pick: Seattle - Unfortunately for the Rams, Sam Bradford went down with a season-ending injury. They weren't very good on that side of the ball anyway and it was going to be difficult enough trying to generate much offense against the Seahawks defense with Bradford in the game, let alone with a back-up. I like the Seahawks by three scores.

Result: Seattle 14 St. Louis 9

Record: 9-4


Week 8: 9-4 (.692)

Total: 76-44 (.633)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"