Skip to main content

An odd upcoming Valentine's Day ahead...

I've never been big into Valentine's Day. Whether I was single or dating someone, February 14th was never a day I circled on my calendar. Yeah, some may call me a bad boyfriend due to that, but in my defense, if a man or a couple relies on a single overly-commercialized day every year as a make-it-or-break-it day for them, then chances are they're not very happy with things as they are, and regardless of how well Valentine's Day goes, the odds are that the relationship won't last much longer. I guess I go by the philosophy that it's better and feels more genuine to celebrate the concept of Valentine's Day regularly, yet randomly throughout the course of the year, rather than on a single designated day.

Given that, this year's Valentine's Day will be an especially surreal one for me, and coincidentally enough, it directly follows Friday the 13th. Unfortunately, after a long struggle, my last grandparent - my grandfather on my mother's side - passed away not too long ago, and the date of his funeral? Valentine's Day. I'll be heading out of town tomorrow, on Friday the 13th, to spend time with family and pay my respects to my grandfather on Valentine's Day. For as torn apart as this side of the family has been in recent years, I sincerely hope this unfortunate event brings us all closer together, that we help one another heal, and that this starts a new, better chapter for us as a family.

For as cheesy and phony as I typically find Valentine's Day, in light of this recent family ordeal, I still want to send my best to everyone on this holiday. Try to appreciate every moment you have with those you care about and love, because you never know when that final moment will be. Try not to circle a handful of days on the calendar every year as days to illustrate your love for your significant other, and take the rest for granted. Try to be creative, genuine, and thoughtful, to truly show those you love that you listen, know them unlike anyone else, and love them. Valentine's Day may be a designated day on the calendar to express our love to those closest to us, but it takes much more than one day in a given year to truly showcase our love.

Thanks for all the good times and memories. Rest in peace, grandpa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"