Skip to main content

Life's too short to hold grudges

Valentine's Day was a tad surreal for me this year - even more so than usual. My last remaining grandparent passed away three weeks ago, and after he was cremated, the rest of the family and I were able to schedule a memorial service in his honor this past Saturday, Valentine's Day. For as sad as it was to lose my grandfather, the man had been struggling for quite some time, so his passing wasn't nearly as shocking as it could have been, and in an odd way, I was happy to see him no longer have to endure such great pain, anguish, and frustration, and to finally rest and be at peace from all of his hardships. What saddened me most at the funeral wasn't the realization that my 83-year-old grandfather had passed, which while quite sad, wasn't greatly shocking. No, what saddened me most was seeing how broken apart the family was and wondering if we'd ever be able to truly come together again like we had prior to my grandmother's passing ten years ago.

One of my uncles (my grandfather's son) didn't even bother showing up at the service, and neither did his wife, anyone from her family, or their kids. It was later reported to me that they had "plans" for Valentine's Day. Like that's a reasonable excuse. So, following through with romantic Valentine's Day plans on February 14th is of greater importance than spending time with family at your father's funeral? I don't think so... Sadly, while I was greatly troubled by the no-show(s), I wasn't entirely shocked either. I may never know the full reason(s) behind it, but these same members of the family have slowly alienated themselves from the rest of us over the past ten years or so. Most everyone else in the family stayed steadfast on inviting them to events, gatherings, and the like, yet there was always a "reason" (excuse) why they couldn't make it, and it finally reached a point where the rest of us simply gave up in trying. While I wasn't optimistic about the possibility, I still hoped that the passing of my grandfather (their father) would figuratively smack some family members upside the head, to where they thought, "Wow, life really is too short. Why are we doing this? Let's be a family again," and helped bring us closer together. Sadly, at least in the short-term, it's appeared to have the opposite effect.

I just don't see the point. Is any grudge really worth distancing yourself from friends or family for one or two years, let alone ten? There may be disagreements or even heated arguments. Friends or family members may possess differing viewpoints about the world, be on polar opposite ends of the political spectrum, yet is that too much to overcome when what ties us together is blood and/or love? My uncle and his wife are very different from me as far as our beliefs are concerned, yet I still hold out hope that one day, they'll turn around and be part of the family again. Families don't need to discuss religion, politics, and/or divisive current events, especially if heated debates are likely to be sparked as a result. We can talk about our lives, our kids, funny stories from the recent or distant past, and memories we share. Unfortunately, as I age, my memories of these particular family members aren't as vivid as they once were, and if they don't come around before long, all I'll remember of them is the idea of them and nothing else.

Life is seriously too short to hold such grudges. What is gained by holding on to something when it distances oneself from friends, family, and/or loved ones? A silly sense of pride? No matter what one thinks they gain from this high school level of maturity, it's far outweighed on the scale by what's lost. As difficult as it can be to admit one is wrong and to apologize about the matter, it'll be one-hundred times more difficult to not go through with that, for that other individual to suddenly perish, and to never have the opportunity to talk to or apologize to them again. We only have one life, one opportunity. Let's all try to make the most of it and not be tied down by silly grudges.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"