Skip to main content

"Sex with Unconscious People is Not Always Rape" brought to you by Utah Representative Brian Greene

Apparently not all male Republican politicians received the memo that they should never speak about the following topic: Rape. Instead of just voting on a Utah measure which would specify what constituted as "consent" and "rape," Representative Brian Greene of Pleasant Grove decided to make his concerns about the bill known, when he said this:

"If an individual has sex with their wife while she is unconscious ... a prosecutor could then charge that spouse with rape, theoretically. That makes sense in a first date scenario, but to me, not where people have a history of years of sexual activity."

Yes, he actually said that...

He later attempted to elaborate on his comment, perhaps hoping it would limit the inevitable backlash he was going to receive, but just dug himself in a deeper hole by saying this:

"I'm not at all trying to justify sexual activity with an unconscious person. It's abhorrent to me. [But I question whether sex with an unconscious person should be] rape in every instance - dependent only upon the actor's knowledge that the individual is unconscious. That's the question. That's what I struggle with."

Based on his quotes, I'd say he "struggles" with a lot more than that - common sense for starters. It also seems that his sex life may be lacking, to put it nicely. Does he really think the following scenario happens regularly, and if happened at all, that it wouldn't constitute as rape?

Setting: A couple's bedroom

Deanna Hornball: :: snores ::

Wilfred Hornball: "Psst... Honey? Are you asleep?"

Deanna: :: snores, mumbles something, and drools ::

Wilfred: "Remember we were going to have sex tonight? So do you want to? You're awake, right?"

Deanna: :: snores more loudly, continues to drool ::

Wilfred: "Okay, I'm going to take that as a yes. Are you ready?"

Deanna: :: snores and coughs a little due to the snoring ::

Wilfred: "Alright, I'm going in!"

Deanna: :: snores and makes a funny dog-howling sound as she exhales ::

Wilfred: "Oh yeah, baby! That feels good! Does it feel good for you?"

Deanna: :: continues the snore and dog-howl bit ::

Wilfred: "Oh! Oh! Ohhhhhh! Oh yeah! You were so great, honey! Honey?"

Deanna: :: turns her back to him and continues snoring ::

(fast-forward to the following morning)

Deanna: "Dear? What happened last night? Did we have sex or something?"

Wilfred: "Well, yeah. Don't you remember?"

Deanna: "I was sleeping..."

Wilfred: "You were? How was I supposed to know?"

Deanna: :: smacks him across the face and storms out ::

Wilfred: "What? What did I do? How was I supposed to know not responding to me, snoring, mumbling unintelligible things, drooling, and making funky dog noises meant you were asleep? Cut me some slack here! Honey?"


Yeah, like that's going to happen, and if it did, I'm sorry, Mr. Greene, but no matter how long a "couple" has been together, if one of them is unconscious during intercourse, it's rape; it's as simple as that.

Given Representative Greene's comments, I have to wonder if just before making them, he thought to himself, "Well, I mean, my wife is always awake when we start, but..."

If Representative Greene maintains the same sense of logic (or lack there of) for a decent period of time, expect him to make the following statements at some point in his political career:

- "If a person steals something from a store but there weren't any workers there at the time, is it really robbery?"

- "Let's think about this for a minute here. If you punch someone while they're asleep, is that really assault or whatever?"

- "If a person is passed out and another shoots and kills them, I don't think we can call that murder in every instance, am I right?"

- "If a Utah lawmaker with the last name of Greene's mind is gone, and, then, um... Wait, I just lost my train of thought. Where was I going with that? Get back to me..."

No thanks...

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2136918-155/utah-lawmakers-debate-how-to-define

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"