Skip to main content

Republican Senator Lamar Alexander joins the gun control debate by blaming video games

On MSNBC recently, the following back-and-forth occurred between MSNBC's Chuck Todd and Republican United States Senator Lamar Alexander (representing the state of Tennessee):

Todd: "Can you envision a way of supporting the universal background checks bill?"

Alexander: "Chuck, I'm going to wait and see on all of these bills. I think video games is [sic] a bigger problem than guns, because video games affect people. But the First Amendment limits what we can do about video games and the Second Amendment to the Constitution limits what we can do about guns."

Video games "affect" people and guns don't? Say that again? Right, because during the shooting sprees in Newtown, Connecticut and elsewhere, nobody was "affected" by the innocent lives that were lost due to gun violence. Perhaps deep down, these parents, teachers, and children were just in denial about what really "affected" them - not their children, students, and classmates being shot and killed by a gun, but that there are video games which depict similar shootings, where no lives are lost as a result. While I've heard of the catchy slogan, "Guns don't kill people; people kill people," I can't say I'm all too familiar with this new slogan, "Guns don't kill people; video games do." Yeah, once it starts raining video games from the sky like hail and bops people on the head hard enough they perish, then we'll start talking. Once meteorologists start saying, instead of, "It's raining cats and dogs out there," "It's raining Grand Theft Autos and Mortal Kombats out there," I'll finally give Mr. Alexander his due. Even with the problems global warming is causing, though, I'm not seeing that happen - not in my lifetime anyway.

Sometimes I really wonder if these Republican Congresspeople (or conservative talking heads) actually know what guns are. This is the image I get of such a person when they're writing in a diary about a gun:

"February 14th of 2010 at 11:59:59 PM EST - Oh, how I love you. You're always there for me. Whatever I want you to do, you'll do. It's like we have a connection, like we're in love. Some people buy dogs. Others buy cats. I have you, and I wouldn't trade you for any other pet in the world. Some people blame you for things, but they don't understand you like I do. You're my precious little pet. I've trained you to not harm others. You're so gentle and kind when in other pets' and children's faces. When kids want to pet you, I let them, because I trust you. I raised you since you were little. Well, you were about the same size then as you are now, but that's what's so great about you. I know what I'm getting day in and day out with you. You always stay the same. My wife doesn't know this, but I love you more than her, especially during that time of the month. You don't ever have that moody time. You're always the same. Sometimes I wish we could get married and spend our honeymoon on a ranch somewhere, where we could make sweet love all night. I'm not sure how we could do that, but with all those crazy sex stores around town, I'm sure we could figure something out. Well, I'm getting tired, so I better place this pen down and cuddle with you while I sleep. Thank you, my sweet, precious pet gun. I love you and hope you'll be mine forever. Goodnight. Sleep tight. ...and don't accidentally go off again tonight."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/30/lamar-alexander-video-games-guns_n_2584837.html

Comments

  1. First of all, I've never played those GTA games and Mortal Kombat is a martial arts video game. You fight using different types of martial arts, like Karate, Shotokan, etc. And I play games where there are guns and violence, but youy don't see me going out and acting like Tony Montana from Scarface! I think it's all about how people let gun games affect them. That's why they have the ratings on the game, if it's M rated, that means that people only 17 and older should be playing them, not little 12 year olds like my stepdad's nephew Michael, He's only 13, but he's playing Call of Duty: Black Ops II, where there's shooting, blood, gore, violence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have a feeling the last video game a lot of these Congresspeople played was Frogger on the Atari.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"