Skip to main content

The irony of Nebraska fans whom harshly criticize Richard Sherman

Being born in Nebraska and having lived there for 26 of my 32 years, a large majority of the people I know still reside in the Cornhusker state and keep in touch with me via Facebook. Following the Seattle Seahawks' 23-17 win over the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship game on Sunday night, I've been rather surprised by the number of Nebraska fans whom have harshly criticized Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman's post-game comments - going as far as to call him an a*shole, who is bound to be in a prison cell one day. While I'd be the first to admit that Sherman's comments were over-the-top, I also think the story has gotten completely blown out-of-proportion and I find it highly ironic that, Nebraska fans of all people, have the gall to say such things with regard to Sherman's post-game rant.

Once again, here's what Sherman said:

"I'm the best corner in the game. When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you're going to get. Don't you ever talk about me. ... Don't you open your mouth about the best or I'm going to shut it for you real quick."

Given Sherman's history of bold statements, the intensity of the 49ers/Seahawks rivalry, and the fact Sherman and Crabtree have a bitter history with one another, it wasn't at all surprising for the Seattle cornerback to make such comments directly after his team moved on to its second Super Bowl with a win over Crabtree's San Francisco 49ers. The statement was definitely over-the-top, but to call it shocking would be doing a disservice to that very word. What's more shocking to me is how a great number of Nebraska fans reacted to Sherman.

Just this past year, tape was released of Nebraska head football coach Bo Pelini uttering the following to a reporter about Husker fans after they left early during a Nebraska/Ohio State game, which the Huskers eventually came back to win:

"F**k you, fans. F**k all of you. F**k 'em. ... Our crowd. What a bunch of f**king fair-weather f**king - they can all kiss my as* out the f**king door. 'Cause the day is f**king coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm f**king gone. I'm so f**king pissed off."

He also said this with regard to World-Herald columnist Tom Shatel:

"F**k him too. F**k him. That's what I'm going to tell him. He wants to walk out after my press conference? I'm gonna say, 'Get the f**k away from me. I'm done with you, motherf**ker.' I'm done with him."

Many of these same Nebraska fans whom are bashing Richard Sherman's rant had defended Bo Pelini's tirade. Here's how that plays out in my mind:

Richard Sherman: "I am the greatest! We're going to the Super Bowl! Crabtree says I'm not that good? Well, if that's the case, he downright sucks, because I got the best of him today! Sucker!"

Nebraska fans: "Wow, what a jerk! I can't believe he would say such things. That's not classy or professional at all. With that kind of attitude, he'll be in jail one of these days."


Bo Pelini: "F**k you, fans! F**k all of you! I hate every single f**king one of you! You all f**king suck! I never want to f**king see you again! If I f**king do, I'm going to f**king be f**king pissed the f**k off!"

Nebraska fans: "Well, that was supposed to be off the record. I doubt he really meant that. He was just speaking with emotion. We all do that sometimes, don't we? It's good he has passion for the game and for his kids. That's what we should all want in a coach, right?"


Not only are such fans being hypocritical with regard to the Pelini tirade, but also with regard to one of their hometown favorites - Ndamukong Suh.

While Suh is known around the league as one of the most menacing presences on defense, he's also seen as the dirtiest. He was voted as the league's dirtiest player in both 2011 and 2012 by fellow players. Away from the field, he's known as being soft-spoken, intelligent, and involved in the community, just like Richard Sherman (minus the bit about being soft-spoken). Does this mean that people should judge Suh the person based on who he is on the field? No, of course not. However, the same holds true of Richard Sherman.

::News breaks about Richard Sherman being a good person off the field::

Nebraska fans: "Well, just because someone did one good deed in his past, that doesn't make him an as*hole? Give me a break! We all know what we heard in that interview after the game on Sunday! He's a first-class jerk!"


::News breaks about Ndamukong Suh being voted the NFL's dirtiest player::

Nebraska fans: "Well, that's not who he really is, though. You have to look at the full context before judging a person. He does so much for the community off the field. That's how we should be judging him - not for how he plays a game like football."

Exactly...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/richard-sherman-erin-andrews-interview/

http://deadspin.com/bo-pelini-on-nebraska-fans-fuck-you-fans-fuck-all-o-1327398903

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8608300/ndamukong-suh-detroit-lions-voted-nfl-dirtiest-player-sporting-news-poll

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"