Skip to main content

Pastor Mark Driscoll makes a big announcement...

Allow me to take you all back about 18 months. On April 26th of 2013, I wrote a blog, entitled, "I smell bacon - no, it's not the cops. The pig I smell is Pastor Mark Driscoll." For those whom read the blog, but can't remember it, or for those whom have yet to read it, here's how it went:

It's people like evangelical leader Mark Driscoll who pushed me away from the Christianity and honestly, religion altogether.

Driscoll is the pastor of the Mars Hill Church in Seattle, Washington, who gave a sermon recently which has a few people talking.

At this sermon, Driscoll said:

"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be their own husbands in everything."

He wasn't done there. Driscoll added this:

"If the wife disrespects the husband in front of his coworkers, will they respect the husband? No. Women who publicly disrespect their husbands, they encourage others to disrespect their husbands. And this doesn't mean you don't disagree with your husband but you do so respectfully, privately."

The portion of the sermon which has garnered the most attention is the following:

"Being married to [nagging wives] is like a life sentence, and the guy's just scratching on his wall every day. Proverbs talks about certain women - they're like a dripping faucet. You ever tried to sleep with a dripping faucet? Plunk, plunk, plunk, plunk, plunk. It's what we use to torture people who are prisoners of war."

It's no wonder people like Driscoll don't believe gays should receive equal treatment and rights, for he (they) doesn't (don't) even believe women should receive equal treatment and rights. It amazes me Driscoll adamantly declares that women must treat their husbands with respect, yet he also states that women must "submit" to their husbands and that the "husband is head of the wife." So, in other words, the wife must respect the husband, but it's not necessary for the husband to respect the wife. Driscoll then went off the deep-end by comparing a nagging wife to torture. I'd like to hear him define "nagging wife," because I have a feeling when she's not worshiping him as he so wishes, that would constitute her as one.

Here's how I picture Driscoll would want his wife to always behave:

Mr. Driscoll: "Hello, honey. How was your day? Were you a good wife? Did you clean the house, take care of the kids, run errands, do laundry, do the dishes, and cook dinner?"

Mrs. Driscoll: "Of course, sweetie - anything for you. I love you so much. You're my man. You're the greatest man in the history of the world, outside of Jesus, of course. You're the kind of man and husband God envisioned. Let me bow down to you."

Mr. Driscoll: "That's very good. It's the 794th consecutive day you've followed both my and God's orders on being my slave, I mean, wife. Now, I've drawn a few new things for you to try. Do them... Right now..."

Mrs. Driscoll: "Anything. Just name it. I'm just a woman and can't think for myself. Please tell me what to do, oh master of all that is wonderful."


Now here's how I picture Driscol wound envision his wife as nagging:

Mr. Driscoll: "Hello, honey. How was your day? Were you a good wife? Did you clean the house, take care of the kids, run errands, do laundry, do the dishes, and cook dinner?"

Mrs. Driscoll: "Of course, sweetie - anything for you. How was your day?"

Mr. Driscoll: "No questions, remember?"

Mrs. Driscoll: "Yes, of course. So, dinner is ready. Would you like to sit down and eat now or would you like to relax for a while and I can warm it up in a bit?"

Mr. Driscoll: "I told you - no questions!"

Mrs. Driscoll: "I'm sorry. Is there anything I can do to make it up to you? Anything at all?"

Mr. Driscoll: "That does it! Nag! Nag! Nag! Nag! Nag! I'm going to take my food and head up to my room! You may pick up my plate and clean it once I ring the bell."


Yes, Mr. Driscoll obviously feels that women are inferior to men, which is funny to me, because if it weren't for a woman giving birth to him, he wouldn't be alive. Women need to respect men? Very well. But men also need to respect women. If Mr. Driscoll doesn't learn that, he may wind up being single and writing a personal ad like this and not receiving any responses:

"My name is Mark Driscoll and I am a man of God. I'm looking for a woman to treat me like her God - to praise me, worship me, spread the good word about me, and do all that I ask without question. She must be good at all the things real women and wives are supposed to be good at: Cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kids, pleasing me sexually, allowing me to be lazy, and letting me treat her like my slave. Let me be your master, so that I don't have to masturbate any more. Oh, and I like long walks on the beach."


Well, it appears as if Mr. Driscoll has run into some problems in recent months. Amid charges of plagiarism, bullying, and an unhealthy ego, Driscoll stepped aside for 6+ weeks in August while Mars Hill Church investigated the matter.

Following the investigation, Mark Driscoll sent a letter of resignation to the Mars Hill Church, which said:

"Recent months have proven unhealthy for our family - even physically unsafe at times - and we believe the time has now come for the elders to choose new pastoral leadership for Mars Hill."

Isn't it a shame this man is no longer a pastor? I know, I may shed a tear too...

Mr. Driscoll, would you please reiterate what you said in a sermon about a year and a half ago which resulted in so much backlash?

"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be their own husbands in everything."

Anything else?

"If the wife disrespects the husband in front of his coworkers, will they respect the husband? No. Women who publicly disrespect their husbands, they encourage others to disrespect their husbands. And this doesn't mean you don't disagree with your husband but you do so respectfully, privately."

That's not all, is it? Come on, the most controversial quote of all - let me have it!

"Being married to [nagging wives] is like a life sentence, and the guy's just scratching on his wall every day. Proverbs talks about certain women - they're like a dripping faucet. You ever tried to sleep with a dripping faucet? Plunk, plunk, plunk, plunk, plunk. It's what we use to torture people who are prisoners of war."

There it is! Yeah, after hearing all of that, I have to wonder if it was his wife who made him feel physically unsafe at times... He should just be thankful he's not married to Lorena Bobbitt!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/25/mark-driscoll-nagging-wives-torture-megachurch_n_3157069.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/15/mark-driscoll-resigns_n_5991998.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"