Skip to main content

New Def Leppard self-titled album review

It's honestly been a great year for me on the music front. As of a couple weeks ago, my three all-time favorite bands had released new albums this year, and not only that, but in my opinion, it was some of each artist's best work in a number of years.

First, Marilyn Manson released The Pale Emperor on January 15th. While his previous few albums had all been solid, each with a number of clever and catchy tracks, they all felt as though the band was searching for direction - to either continue with the old or try something new, which left the albums somewhat inconsistent in theme and sound. With The Pale Emperor, however, that long sought consistency and direction were found, and in a big way, as I believe it to be the band's best album since Holy Wood in 2000.

Next, Muse released their concept album Drones on June 5th. While critics didn't hail it as highly as the band's previous releases, I personally loved it, and felt it was far superior to their previous two albums, The Resistance (2009) and The 2nd Law (2012), respectively.

Lastly, Def Leppard just released their self-titled album on October 30th, and after listening to it a few times, I have to say this is some of their best work in quite awhile as well, perhaps dating as far back as Retro Active (1993). I'll now give a track-by-track review of the album:

1) "Let's Go" (7/10): This is the perfect track to start an album. It provides a hard-thumping intro somewhat similar to their classic hit, "Pour Some Sugar On Me." The chorus leaves a little something to be desired, but the guitar work throughout makes up for it.

2) "Dangerous" (7.25/10): Like "Let's Go," this has a pretty classic Def Leppard feel to it as well, from something in the "Hysteria" era. The guitar work here is catchy as well, somewhat reminiscent of "Animal." The harmonies pre-chorus are solid as well. I'm not totally in love with the chorus just yet, but hopefully it will grow on me.

3) "Man Enough" (6.5/10): The album goes in a more experimental direction here, as the intro sounds like a hybrid of disco and Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust." It's a very bass driven song and difficult not to bob your head to, but is also a bit repetitive.

4) "We Belong" (6/10): After three fairly up-tempo songs, things slow down here. It sounds like a hybrid of the Goo Goo Dolls and something from the album X and has the potential to be a radio hit in the U.S., but definitely isn't one of my favorites off the album. It's not a bad song by any stretch. To his credit, Joe Elliott sounds great in this song, better than I've heard in a while.

5) "Invincible" (7.5/10): Things pick up a bit here with this mid-tempo song. Some of the lyrics are fairly cringe-worthy, but who really got into Def Leppard because of deep lyrics? Once again, the guitar work is solid throughout, and of the five songs to this point, I like the chorus to this one the best. Sound wise, it's one of those songs where I think to myself, "Gosh, that sounds familiar," yet I can't put my finger on what song I'm thinking of. In any case, it reminds me of the '88-'93 Def Leppard era.

6) "Sea of Love" (6.75/10): The tempo picks up even more with this song. It's not a classic song by any stretch, but is catchy, flows nicely, and is difficult not to enjoy to at least some extent. Again, the chorus leaves a little something to be desired, but the guitar solo toward the end is the best to this point in the album.

7) "Energized" (6.25/10): This is an interesting track, as it comes across like a hybrid of electronica and pop (of Slang and X). I kind of rolled my eyes at first when listening to the verses, but can't deny finding the chorus catchy. This is one track I'm definitely undecided on at the moment. I definitely don't hate it, but have no idea if it'll be one of those "skip tracks" when I listen to the album in the future.

8) "All Time High" (7.5/10): Def Leppard gets back to pure rock with this song, which sounds to me like an extra track off Retro Active ("She's Too Tough" perhaps). This, like "Sea of Love," may not be a classic song by this legendary band, but is definitely fast, catchy, and yet another solid addition to the Def Leppard library.

9) "Battle of My Own" (7.25/10): The band goes experimental again with this acoustic song, which sounds like a hybrid of Led Zeppelin and Days of the New. Like in "We Belong," Joe Elliott sounds fantastic in this song. The track runs the risk of being a bit repetitive like "Man Enough," but fortunately switches things up toward the final third, which provides some variety.

10) "Broke 'N' Brokenhearted" (7.75/10): After one acoustic track, this song gets back to more up-tempo rock 'n' roll, and sounds like something from the the '92-'93 years (Adrenalize and Retro Active). Once again, it's quite catchy, and provides one of the best guitar solos in the album. It's my favorite song to this point in the album.

11) "Forever Young" (8.75/10): This sounds like an old-school Def Leppard track to me (something from the On Through the Night and High 'n' Dry days). It's short, fast, somewhat eerie, and like I said with the previous track, my favorite song to this point in the album. The band's harmonies are top of the line in this one, as is the guitar work.

12 "Last Dance" (7/10): The band slows things way down for this tune. Of the two ballads (along with "We Belong"), this is my favorite. It's a pretty solid Def Leppard ballad, likely one of their best since "Hysteria." Sonically speaking, it sounds like a hybrid of songs from X and Retro Active.

13) "Wings of an Angel" (10/10): Here it is, my favorite track off the album, and quite possibly one of my all-time favorites by the band. From the opening to the lead vocals to the harmonies to the beat to the guitar work to the diversity, the song has provided me goosebumps every time I've listened to it. I was honestly starting to wonder if the band had it in them to make another killer song like this, but they did it, and thank you!

14) "Blind Faith" (8/10): The band closes the album with this interesting number. It starts off as a slower track, a hybrid between The Beatles and On Through the Night. Things pick up slightly a little past the halfway point. In conjunction with the length of the song, the change-ups in sound provide it an epic feel. Elliott's vocals are in top form again here, reaching notes I haven't heard him reach in probably 30 years. Like "Let's Go" was the perfect song to start this album, "Blind Faith" is a perfect closer.

Overall: 103.5/140 (73.9%)

Conclusion: Def Leppard is the band's first album since 2008's Songs From the Sparkle Lounge, could very well be their final one, and if so, the band left on a good note. With this album, the veteran band provided fans, old and new, the classic sounds of Def Leppard with a contemporary touch, allowing them to appreciate the past without feeling outdated. While the self-titled album definitely doesn't stack up against the likes of Hysteria and Pyromania, respectively, it is the band's best album in 22 years (Retro Active), and one I'm sure will be greatly appreciated by fans all over the map.

Final grade: 3.75 out of 5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"