Skip to main content

The next-to-impossible task of planning life

I was caught off guard over the weekend when a friend of mine asked me, "So what do you plan to do with the rest of your life?" I think I was doubly caught off guard due to the fact I was out and relaxing at a bar. When I venture to such a destination, the last thing I think about is, "Where am I going to be 20 years from now?" At least for me, I go to bars to temporarily unwind and get away from reality, not to have it thrown in my face. In any case, even 48 hours after the fact, I'd still have difficulty in concretely answering the question, "So what do you plan to do with the rest of your life?"

Now, if I had been asked, "What are your end goals or dreams?" I would have had a fairly easy time responding in full. However, as I've come to learn, it's incredibly difficult, if not next to impossible, to fully plan life. On a daily basis, things happen which we never would have expected, let alone planned, and that's one of the lone consistencies of life. If one had asked me 10 years ago what my plans were for the next decade, I never would have said, "Moving to Columbus, Ohio after 27 years in Omaha, Nebraska; publishing/releasing 12 books; being featured on multiple radio talk shows; co-hosting a talk show; suffering a two-year illness, a gallstone attack, gout, and panic attacks; dating a woman for 2 years which resulted in me filing a police report against her ex-husband; both my dogs passing away, but getting a sweet rescue dog afterwards; and fighting against the very real possibility of Donald Trump becoming our next president."

Often times I find that it's less about making specific plans and more about how we adjust and adapt to the inevitable alterations in those very plans. I have my hopes, goals, and dreams, but I don't know what's going to happen ten minutes from now, let alone ten years from now, so I find it incredibly difficult to plan accordingly as a result. Now I'm not saying plans aren't useful in certain situations. It's perfectly reasonable to try and plan a date over the weekend or several weekends down the road depending on what the venue is and how crowded it might be. However, in the grand scheme of things, life is but a trip, and if we become flustered after every detour we're forced to take when a plan doesn't work out as we had envisioned, it'll surely result in a consistent case of car sickness. If, on the other hand, we're able to better adjust and adapt to those detours, it'll make travel much more enjoyable. So, even today, 48 hours after I was asked, "So what do you plan to do with the rest of your life?" I'd again say, "I don't know, but I'm going to try and enjoy it as much as possible."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"