Skip to main content

Celebrity Crushes/Obsession

Ever know a guy who seemed obsessed with say, Britney Spears? Or a gal who was really into Justin Timberlake? When I say "obsessed" or "really into," I don't mean they just say, "She/he's so hot" when they see a picture of the star in a magazine or on television. I mean, they have posters of this person all over their walls, collect everything that they've been a part of (CD's, movies, magazine covers, interviews, etc.) and talk about them like they're dating. Ever know a person like this? I have and I must say, it kind of frightens me.

When Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake supposedly broke up from their Hollywood romance, a couple male friends of mine immediately came over, smiling from cheek to cheek.

They asked, me, "Craig, did you hear the news?"

I thought that perhaps they were going to have a big party that weekend or an old friend was coming into town or something along those lines, but no, I was wrong.

They continued on, "Britney and Justin broke up! You know what that means? We have a chance!"

I patted them on their heads and smiled. We then proceeded to go bowling. The Britney talk didn't stop at the bowling alley.

After each turn, they'd come back to sit down, with their eyes as wide as a child's on Christmas Day, and say things like, "Man, one night. That's all I ask. One night with her and I could die a happy man."

I tried to play the nod and smile routine that afternoon, because I didn't want to bring them down from whatever cloud they were on that day. But, after a while, I couldn't help but speak out on the situation.

Noticing that I wasn't ecstatic like they were about the whole predicament, they asked me, "So, Craig, would you want a piece of that? You can't say no. Who wouldn't want some of that?"

I shrugged my shoulders and said, "She's all yours guys. I'm not interested."

They then, of course, came back with the infamous line, "What, are you gay or something?"

When I said no, they just kind of rolled their eyes and went back to talking about their Britney fantasies. To this day, I will hear these fantasies, and they're both seriously involved with someone. But, they have broadened their scope some, from just solely Britney, to add the likes of Jessica Simpson and Paris Hilton.

Just a couple weeks ago, I was hanging out with some friends of mine and I was asked, "Craig, if you could do one Hollywood star, who would it be?"

Both my friends had no problem listing off several stars that they wouldn't mind fooling around with.

I just said, "I'm not really interested in that whole thing. I've never been one to have celebrity crushes."

They didn't seem to believe me and went on with the deep and philosophical conversation.

I've heard these stories and fantasies countless times and once in a while, I'll butt in with a, "But, you don't even know him/her."

They'll give me an odd look, because the fact of the matter is, they'd want this person for one thing and one thing only and that's sex. It's not like they actually want to sit down, get to know the person and try to connect with them on another level. It can put a damper on my mood sometimes, because I'd like to hope that love and sex can be connected, but when people lay out these fantasies they have of someone they don't know in the slightest bit (only their stage name), then that hope meter of mine drops down one notch from where it was previously.

I'll be the first to admit that there are physically attractive celebrities. I'd be lying if I didn't say so. But, that's where it begins and ends with me. George Clooney, Cary Grant, Denzel Washington, Sidney Poitier, Catharine Zeta-Jones, Grace Kelly, Salma Hayek, Halle Berry and many others are all physically attractive. It's like looking at a painting. I'll look, appreciate its beauty and then walk off to see the next work of art. But, I've learned to just appreciate celebrities for their talents. That's what they're there for- to entertain. Michael Vick is there to play the role of Houdini on the football field. Barry Sanders was there to tap dance around defenders and make them look silly in the process. The Beatles were there to revolutionize rock music. Tom Hanks is there to make any film, no matter how poorly written it is, entertaining and watchable. Celebrities make a lot of money, spend a lot of time in the make-up room and spend more life facing the camera in one week than most people do in a lifetime. But, in the end, they're people, just like you and me. They have their good days and bad days. They make mistakes. What makes them unique and beautiful is their talent, not their appearance. I'd last a lot longer as an English professor if I were to receive notoriety for my efficient teaching methods than if I was just known around the school as a “hottie“. Even if I were known as the hot professor, if I couldn't teach worth a lick, then I'd get canned pretty quickly.

It's good to appreciate beauty. All of our senses allow us to experience a new side to beauty, but appreciating that beauty and obsessing with it are two completely different things.

Comments

  1. When I was younger, I was so into N*Sync and the Backstreet Boys, and when it comes to celeb crushes for me, I'd like to sit down and get to know the person, know their likes/dislikes, ask them what they like to do in their spare time, stuff like that. Romance does not always have to end in sex, and I have a few celeb crushes, but not to the point of obsession where all u see on the walls of my room are the faces of those people. For some reason, alot of the guys I think are handsome, people ask me "Why and how do u find these guys cute?" Here it is for me: Mick Jagger, to me, is very physically attractive, along with Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones. I'm not sure why, but I find those 2 to be physically attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you sound like a rarity. Pretty much everyone I've spoken to about this sort of thing are just thinking about one thing and one thing only when it comes to a celebrity crush and that one thing isn't talking to and getting to know them. Also, Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood? I don't hear that too often either. I think when I was pretty young, I had a slight crush on Sandra Bullock after seeing her in the movie "Speed," but that quickly faded and I moved on to having a crush on Lyle Lovett. Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"