Skip to main content

A Survivor

Have you ever seen a film or read a book that was so similar to a previous life event, that it felt real? Ever felt that those events were actually taking place in that film or book? That you were the main character in the story? I, unfortunately, had this experience just last night, while watching the film "Mysterious Skin."

Because this film was independent and therefore, did not receive much publicity, I will give a brief summary of the story. It revolves around two 8-year old boys, who are teammates on a Little League team. Neither kid has much of a father figure. The head coach sees that and takes full advantage of the situation and the boys. He sexually abuses them on multiple occasions and their lives are never the same because of it. One boy, Neil, who has already noticed his attraction towards the same gender before the incidents, goes on to be an 18-year old male prostitute. His feelings and emotions are numbed and sex becomes nothing but a business to him. The other boy, Brian, blocks out the incidents and starts to wonder if he was abducted by aliens. He keeps to himself, is asexual, and focuses only on his studies and on the five hours he lost when he was 8-years old. The only person Neil tells is his best friend Penny. The first time both Neil and Brian honestly admit what happened is when they find one another ten years later. The ending provides some hope, but as the story suggests, some of these wounds will never fully heal.

It'd be a very difficult film for most people to sit through and this was especially the case for me. I could relate to so many things in the film, it felt at times that they were telling my story. As were the boys in this film, I too was sexually abused at the age of 8. Like in the film, the predator was an older male who knew the family. Just like the predator in the movie, the man who abused me lured me in by being the babysitter, playing video games and attempting to make me feel comfortable and at ease with him.

I could relate to both characters on different levels. I blocked out the incident for a few years after it happened. I was threatened that if I told anyone, I wouldn't be alive much longer, so I kept my lips sealed. I had constant nightmares about the event and the abuser for years, just like in this film, Brian had. When I started receiving flashbacks in middle school, I took on the role of Neil and became numb and indifferent to the world. I didn't come out with it until just a few years ago, when I was 22. Fourteen years lapsed between the encounter and my finally coming out with everything. Some family members of mine are still in denial about the whole situation or perhaps, they just feel I'm making it up. But, even though that day was approximately 22 years ago, I can remember it like it was yesterday and it is something I will never forget.

Seeing the after-effects of the characters in the film was especially difficult, because I know all too well about these after-effects. The nightmares. The flashbacks. The numbness. The indifference. The fear. The paranoia. The isolation. I can see the effects it has had on me, 22 years later. There are reasons why I trusted females more than males growing up. There are reasons why I was not comfortable with being physical or sexual with another person. There are reasons why I always tried to put others before myself. I was only 8-years old, so I was too young to really know what was going on, but I knew what I felt - fear. My conscience told me something was very wrong. I shook. I became frozen. I felt an epileptic aura and nearly broke into a full-blown seizure from the panic I felt. Being threatened, the only thing I worried about was my life, so I obeyed. After that day, I promised myself to always be there for others and to do all in my power to prevent it from happening to anyone else. This has had its pros and cons. While I'm always known as the nice guy, the one who will be there whenever someone needs help, I'm also that guy who gets taken advantage of a great deal.

I have not seen the man since the incident, yet I will never forget his face. That afternoon, back in the summer of '89, my innocence was lost and my childhood vanished before my very eyes. One reason why I love kids so much is the fact they bring back a piece of that childhood. Children are precious and it makes me break out into tears every time I hear that a child had to endure something similar as myself. I've told myself since the incident that if what happened to me was a sacrifice for another child getting the same kind of treatment, then I'd be willing to accept that. No child deserves that. Nobody deserves that kind of mistreatment, but especially an innocent, helpless child.

I waited far too long to come forward to others about what happened and that will have its negative consequences. Anyone out there whom has suffered from similar abuses (or know someone who has), please don't commit the same mistakes I did. Tell the authorities as soon as you can and get help as soon as possible. You were not at fault. You were the victim of a sick and odious crime. There are people out there who can help. You're not alone. For parents out there, please be very careful who you trust to take care of your children. Children deserve to be kids. They deserve to enjoy their childhood. Once that childhood is lost, there's never going back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"