Skip to main content

Getting Pulled Over In The Driveway

I've heard all the stories before. A very old friend of mine was pulled over in her mom's van when she was 15. Because she was 15, she had nothing- no license or anything to show the cop. The cop let her go and just told her to head on home. A cop pulled a friend of mine over for doing 28 in a 25 and because he was concerned for our safety, as there were several of us kids in the car. A friend of mine tossed a large Wendy's cup out his window as he was driving at night and guess who it hit? A cop. So, the cop ticketed him for littering and for having bumper stickers on his back window, claiming my friend couldn't see behind him at all while driving. My bro was pulled over one time for doing 46 in a 45. I was pulled over and ticketed for doing 58 in a 55. My friend's father was pulled over for doing 56 in a 55. A friend of mine's uncle got pulled over for doing exactly the speed limit on the interstate, but he was slowing down traffic, so says the copper. I've heard of cops searching cars out for drugs and alcohol. I've even heard of some stories where a cop will pull a kid over and the kid is obviously intoxicated, but if he lives somewhere close to where he was pulled over, the cop will let him go unscathed. Why do I bring this up? Well, because I had an odd experience with a cop a few years ago.

A while back, I was cruising down the street I lived on, doing about 22. There was a police car about twenty yards in front of me, going around 25, and a car in front of him going about the same. This cop was bored and on a mission to ticket somebody, anybody. So, he was following the car in front of him. The car put their right turn signal on, and just as they did, the cop did likewise. But, just as I pulled into my driveway, I turned my headlights off, so I didn't wake anyone up at home with my bright lights. The cop obviously saw this and right when I was getting out of my car, locking my doors up, and making sure they were locked after I shut the door, the cop was in my driveway.

He asked me why I turned my lights off.

I said, "Because you see that window up there? That's where my father sleeps and I don't want to wake him up with my lights being on."

He then said, "Well, what about my lights? You think those will wake him up?"

At this point, I thought this guy might've been a George W. Bush clone, and I responded with, "Yeah, if he was up there sleeping, they probably woke him up."

He then told me never to do that again and that he'd ticket me for driving without my headlights on if I did such a thing again.

Don't cops have anything better to do on a Saturday night? Drug busts? Robberies? Murders? MIPs? DWIs? But no, let's follow around every car in the area, in hopes that one of them will mess up ever slightly so that we can give them a ticket. Ooh, let's pull that one over in his driveway. We can ticket him for not driving with his headlights for a foot. Yesssssssss! I should've just started throwing donuts at him. Although, that would've kept him busy for hours on my driveway, and the sooner he left the better, so forget the donut idea. Although, I could run inside, grab a gift certificate for a place like Krispy Kreme and that might get him off the driveway immediately.

So, what kind of tickets do cops give to people trying to be courteous to family, friends, and/or neighbors? I'm curious of this. I also turned the music down in my car as I entered the neighborhood. Could the cop pull me over for that too?

"I'm sorry, son, but I noticed you turned your music down and that made me very suspicious, so I'm going to have to give you a ticket."

Alrighty then. I even asked a cop about the situation and he responded with, "That guy sounds like a total d**khead." There you go, the inside information with a cop's perspective on this particular cop.

Moral of this story? For those out there who constantly do twenty over the speed limit, go through red lights, don't stop at stop signs, don't use your turn signals, and don't obey many traffic laws, you don't have much to worry about. The cops seem to stray away from your group. But, for those of you that are a little more cautious while driving and tend to obey the traffic laws, keep your eyes open, from the time you leave for your destination until you get there and until you get back into you driveway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"