Skip to main content

A Date I Will Never Forget Nor Believe Actually Happened

You ever have that odd dating experience in your past that makes for a fun drunken story you tell friends or even strangers now? A story so classic that it's been spread across the world and someone is currently probably writing a book about it? I've had a couple such dating experiences, but one takes the cake. When I look back and think about the one date that I just shake my head at and laugh about, it's the one I'm about to tell you. For all intents and purposes, the gal in this story's name will be Ariel.

It was just before Thanksgiving weekend when I met this girl, we'll call her Ariel. She was a junior at a University in the Midwest, very involved with school, had a solid GPA, and was originally from out west, between the states of Nevada and Wyoming/Colorado. She and I went on a couple dates and I was rather optimistic going into the third, but it's amazing how much things can change from one early date to the next. Nothing much happened on the first couple dates. We went out, talked, watched a movie, were taking things at a nice slow pace. But, then, just shortly before winter break was underway, I talked her into going to a party with me. She sounded excited and I was very much in the mood to go out and be loud, crazy, social, and tipsy. So, I went to pick her up and she was just sitting on the couch in her pajamas, watching I don't remember what on the tube. I tried talking to her, but she completely shut me out. She was like a mime. I tried making conversation with her and nothing. No topic or subject worked. I brought up the party and she was no longer interested. So, I then waited patiently for my phone to ring, just hoping that my friends followed through with the party. She then started playing with the remote, trying to find something to watch and there it was - figure skating. All of a sudden, her eyes widened, her tone of voice altered, her attitude went from mime to cheerleader in a matter of seconds. Her favorite figure skater then came on and she was all into it. I was half watching my phone and half watching the complete transformation in a matter of seconds on her behalf, all due to figure skating. Her favorite figure skater ended his routine and she perkily got up off the couch and went into the kitchen. I figured she was going to grab a snack or beverage. All of a sudden, I hear music emanating from the kitchen and she appeared to be dancing. I softly chuckled to myself, thinking, "What in the heck got in to her?" But, no, she wasn't dancing. She wasn't singing. She wasn't tipsy like I had hoped to get that evening. She was make-believe figure skating. This wasn't a brief 2-minute routine either. She did this for an hour! She was up, figure skating around the kitchen, the family room and around the couch, where I was sitting with a very confused look on my face. This all happened while "The Brian Setzer Orchestra" CD played from the boombox in the kitchen. The CD went from the first to the very final track, until her relatives had to go to bed.

So, she took that boombox downstairs, plugged it in, Setzer started singing, and she began skating around the basement! The most talking we got done in between her acts was when I asked about the CD and I said the voice sounded really familiar, like the lead singer of the old '80s band, The Stray Cats. She said no, but I looked at the CD and the song I remember The Stray Cats for is "Rock This Town," and that was on the CD. I told her that and she said I was wrong, so I just stopped talking. I sat on the couch and she went into her second act.

What did she expect me to do? If she had been dancing, that'd be one thing, but figure skating? What, is it a duet routine where I'm supposed to know the act and skate alongside her? Every now and again, she'd pretend skate around the couch and give me a smile, like this was some unbelievable spectacle that was being displayed before me. She did this for another hour, at least. Overall, she skated for over 2 hours. Of course, my friends didn't pull through that night with the party and I was stuck between an melted indoor ice skating rink and ultimate boredom. When she finally finished her routine, she was huffing and puffing and sweating like a guy after playing 60 minutes of football.

She then sat beside me and said, "Craig, is it just me or does something feel really off tonight?"

How ironic, her asking me that. I wanted to bust out laughing right then and there, but I just sarcastically said, "Yeah, just a bit." And then, that's when she lost it.

She broke down into tears and started saying, "Gosh, this might be the last time we'll see each other until next fall semester. I've got to go to see family, have an internship, go back to see family for the summer, and we might not see each other again until next August."

I then asked the rational question, "Why did you wait until now to tell me this?"

She then went on and on like we were in some kind of soap opera. I was silent. What do I say to all this?

She capped it off with the line, "Craig, this is the part where you kiss me and tell me everything is going to be okay."

I can only imagine my facial expression at that point. I then looked around for a director or cameraperson saying, "Action...Take two..." There was no camera. I chuckled and finally said I should get going.

I drove home in disbelief at what happened, not knowing if what happened I had dreamt or if it actually happened. I've had some odd occurrences on dates, but a gal pretending to figure skate for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, going from mime to someone high on speed in a matter of seconds, and then when the routine ended, asking me, "Does something feel off tonight?" had to have been the oddest and most awkward occurrence I've had in the dating world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"